Thread: Dont Know Much About Superchargers Little Help Please

Junior SCH Member

Question Dont Know Much About Superchargers Little Help Please

Im looking at picking up a novi 1000 for my 88 Gt and i dont know much about problem that may arise, or things i should be aware of. i also dont know much about what i need to run the supercharger if a bypass valve is needed or not. any suggestions will help a great deal

SCH Member
    yes you will need a bypass valve and would suggest a boost gauge but its not a must. Also put solid motor mounts in they dont cost much and will make it harder to break one and send a brand new fan through a new 4 row radiator. yea that happened to me after about a week of the supercharger. Other than that good luck. One last thing how many miles on your motor. I wouldn't suggest putting a charger on a weak motor unless you are planning on buy a new motor soon. I have had my paxton on for about 5,000 miles and my rings are about to go(smoking bad from the oil cap and dip stick) so i am about to do a new long block but i expected that out of a 130,000 mile 93 motor. damn ford for changeing from forged. lol
    93 5.0 LX Silver Coupe w/ chorme pony's on nitto drag radials. Mods: NOVI 1000, 8"crank, Performer Inake, 70mm TB, 75mm PRO-M, 24lb injectors, 255lph fuel pump, adj. fuel pressure regulator, eql headers, off road H-pipe, flowmasters, 373 gear, electric Fan, ect. Stock Long Block.
    http://www.partyclemson.com/photo_photo.aspx?user=25599&photo=37926

Junior SCH Member
    the motor has less then 10,000 KMS on it, put it in just this last winter. i got new motor mounts at the time but there just from a local autoparts store. are all the things like a bypass valve, plugs, better ignition a must when the supercharger first goes in or can that stuff wait a little while??

For most, the bypass valve is a must. It's a $30 part so I'd pick one up. For plugs, I'd recommend Autolite 23's (gapped .035) if you have iron heads and Autolite 3923's (*gapped .035) if you have aluminum heads. You can skate by with the stock ignition but I'd suggest a dyno tune.....especially if you pulley the boost up.
    ~Dan
    2001 SVT Lightning: Flowmaster exhaust and mystery traction bars

89' GT : Waiting for a buyer