Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which is better Novi 1000 vs SC Trim Vortech

Thought I’d give my opinion on the topic. Ever since I bought my LX I knew I wanted to eventually turn it into a blown ride. So what I did was research it like crazy I liked the Powerdyne and thought for sure I would get one. It’s the Ford SVO supercharger its silent and easy to install. I then read some more on the Powerdyne and found it to be not a very good compressor design. The internal belt drive ruins bearings and that just wasn’t what I wanted. So on to my next choice the Vortech A-trim or the SC-trim. It sounded great good price and everything. At this point I knew only about the Paxton SN-series and didn’t want the problems that came with those. Then I stumbled upon the Novi-1000, a brother to the N2K, I found that it was the best compressor of all the entry-level blowers, it is quitter than the A/SC trim. I don’t like the fact that the main accessory drive belt drives the blower. I would have preferred the separate drive belt because of two reasons if you have a problem with the blower and need to drive the car without the blower belt you can only do so if it is separate form your accessories, the other reason is because if you decide to go with a larger crank pulley to speed the compressor up for more boost you have to spin your accessories faster too. The problem with the Vortech is that it is so expensive to buy different pulleys to get more boost, and the A-trim and the SC trim are very loud. I finally decided on the Paxton Novi 1-k because the compressor is very good and capable of a lot more boost, its quite, its fairly cheep to add a By-pass valve, a better discharge tube, and the F-150 crank pulley. The Vortech SC-trim replaced the A-trim and its just about the same it performs slightly better than the old A-trim. The Novi 1K is equivalent to the Vortech B-trim which is no longer being produced in terms of boost potential, efficiency, CFM, and pressure drop ratio. Vortech and Paxton both make a great product both have there pros and cons, its just a matter of what cons you can deal with.

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by Jason915
    I would have preferred the separate drive belt because of two reasons if you have a problem with the blower and need to drive the car without the blower belt you can only do so if it is separate form your accessories, the other reason is because if you decide to go with a larger crank pulley to speed the compressor up for more boost you have to spin your accessories faster too. .
    what does spinning your accessories faster do?? or what effects are there???

Originally posted by novipower

I have some videos for you too....

My car driving...

NOVI 1K Idle - 93notch
    they both sound very impressive. which blower is on what car? the 1000 on the 88 and the 2000 on the coupe??? the 88 sounded sweet, but the coupe sounded mean.
    Joe

Broke a Lakewood shock, if anyone has one for sale pm me please.

89 LX Coupe - cobra intake, 65mm throttle body, cobra 1.7 roller rockers, 1 5/8" mac long tubes, off road mac h pipe, 2 chamber flowmasters, king cobra clutch, 3.55s, mac pullies, lakewood 50/50 shocks, ponies with yokohamas and nitto DR in the back, K&N, saleen pedals, white face gauges, & white face a/c gauges. doing interior swap from tan to black so that pushes the blower back for awhile anyway. mint black front and rear coupe seats ($100).

Waiting to go on: freshly rebuilt T5 Z, pro 5.0 shifter, 92 black dash, 92 black center console, black door panels.

Sitting waiting for the blower: vortech BTM, bosch bypass valve (110)

my buddy bought my 89 GT...306, ported GT-40 heads, Motorsport (FRPP) 1.72 roller rockers, Edelbrock Performer intake, FRPP Pulleys, B-303 cam, 75mm bullet MAF, 24lb injectors, 65mm throttle body, 1 5/8" equal length shorties, off road hpipe, 3.73s, flowmasters, Koni Reds, Hotchkis caster/camber plates, K&N and subframe connectors.

They are both NOVI 1K's.

Ian

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by novipower
    They are both NOVI 1K's.

Ian
    but i thought that the 1000 was supposed to be quiet? can you just not hear it spool up?
    Joe

89 LX Coupe - cobra intake, 65mm throttle body, cobra 1.7 roller rockers, 1 5/8" mac long tubes, off road mac h pipe, 2 chamber flowmasters, king cobra clutch, 3.55s, mac pullies, lakewood 50/50 shocks, ponies with yokohamas and nitto DR in the back, K&N, saleen pedals, white face gauges, & white face a/c gauges. doing interior swap from tan to black so that pushes the blower back for awhile anyway. mint black front and rear coupe seats ($100).

Waiting to go on: freshly rebuilt T5 Z, pro 5.0 shifter, 92 black dash, 92 black center console, black door panels.

my buddy bought my 89 GT...306, ported GT-40 heads, Motorsport (FRPP) 1.72 roller rockers, Edelbrock Performer intake, FRPP Pulleys, B-303 cam, 75mm bullet MAF, 24lb injectors, 65mm throttle body, 1 5/8" equal length shorties, off road hpipe, 3.73s, flowmasters, Koni Reds, Hotchkis caster/camber plates, K&N and subframe connectors.

Well he has the loudest NOVI 1K on the net ;)

It has sinced quieted down a little....

Ian

Junior SCH Member
    My Novi 1000 is quite audible. It is just a different sound than the curved impeller Vortechs. They have a deeper "gear like" sound, while the Novi has more of a higher pitched whistly gear noise. If that makes sense.

Over spinning the accessories cause more parisitical drag on the engine, costing horsepower. I have also locked up 2 power steering pump pulleys @ 6000 rpm with the F150 pulley and 2.75" blower pulley. I ended up getting a larger power steering pulley to slow the pump down. No problems since.

A good feature of the Vortechs seperate belt is that you can easily swap to an 8 rib set-up. You would have to have ASP make a bunch of custom pulleys to do that on a 1000.
    1988 GT
    mild Novi 1000 302
    10.9@128mph

1988 GT convertible
    AOD, pulleys, K&N, exhaust, lowered, cowl hood....

Junior SCH Member
    thanks, i am still undecided and trying to soak up all of the opinions and info that i can. i hope that you all keep it coming though.

thanks
    Joe
    Joe