Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
new to novi, need some info

Thread: new to novi, need some info

Junior SCH Member

new to novi, need some info

I have been a turbo buick guy and now i find myself driving a 91 lx covt with 53k miles. I couldnt stand the car being bone stock so i just bought a Novi 1000 last night! I got a good deal and couldnt pass it up. I have a question about a bypass valve? Do i need it and what does it do? I know that paxton says you can run stock fuel pump and injectors but from what i read, the stock fuel pump has got to go. I only want to run 5-6psi.....for now ;)
    My question is i have a new Walbro 307 and was wondering if that is to much of a fuel pump? Any other suggestions on how to tune this kit under stock boost levels would be greatly appreciated.

Car is 3320lbs with 1/2 tank of gas. Has a 2.73 gear. What should i expect at the track with this kit??????

Junior SCH Member
    not as fast as my novi 2000! :p

A bypass is not needed for 5-6 psi but the car will run alot smoother overall. No way i'd run the stock pump. Get a 255lph pump and you should be set for a while. If i was you i'd get a Pro-m meter and a set of 30's at least. Get a 4" powerpipe. They are worth the money. I'm not big on the el-cheap-o fmu's but i happen to like the Cartech and Vortech SFMU's. With 3.73's and some good slicks, low 13's can happen if you beat on it just right.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

SCH Member
    Definitely get a good fuel pump. For 100 bucks, it is not worth gambling. 255 lph will suffice just fine. I opted to install 42 lb. injectors and a Pro-M 80 mm meter and never have used the FMU. I am just using my home tune and have went 12.5 at 113 with only a few passes under my belt (street tires). You will "only" want 5-6 psi for a short time! I found a used renegade pulley and picked it up right away. I have yet to put it on, so my times are with the stock 5 psi of boost. But I would like to be in the 11's at 120+ mph with the pulley and a better tune.
    1989 LX Coupe
    Novi 1000, FMS/Bosch 42#'s, GT40 irons, GT40 intake, Pro-M 80mm MAF, 65mm T/B, 1.7 rockers, stock cam, MAC longtubes, MAC prochamber, flowmasters welded in stock pipes, T5z, 3.73 gears.

Best ET: 12.55
    Best MPH: 115.2

Awesome to have another turbo Buick guy on the board!

I have an '84 GN - moonroof car; converted to '87 set up with front mount intercooler and GN1 aluminum heads.

I went with the Novi-1000 to give my '92 LX 5.0 some extra ooomph. You'll want to ditch those 2.73 gears. A set of 3.55's will do (something close to the 3.42's you have in your turbo Buick). I assume the Mustang you have is near stock. The same performance enhancements you used on your turbo Buick work exceptionally well on a Mustang; more fuel, better intake/breathing, and free flowing exhaust. A set of 3.55 gears alone will drop 5 tenths of ET on your Mustang!
    Rice cars really do suck...

"He who lives longest with all the toys wins... the rest of you are wannabe's"

http://www.turbogm.com/Videos/Grand_Nation...onal/buick.mpeg

Junior SCH Member
    Have anyone in here used a walbro 340 or 307?????????? Do they fit? They are rated at 255 so i am know it will be enough fuel....but does it fit??? I origianlly bought it for my 89 turbo trans am, and never used it. Its brand new, any info on the pump would be good.

Ps. Thanks for all the other info guys!!!

Walbro 340 will work

Yes... it fits.
    Rice cars really do suck...

"He who lives longest with all the toys wins... the rest of you are wannabe's"

http://www.turbogm.com/Videos/Grand_Nation...onal/buick.mpeg

Actually that is the 'preffered' intank pump.

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    The Walbro 307 you have will work great, that's what I'm running in my '90 Mustang.
    Chris

Junior SCH Member
    got my kit yesterday and i am missing the 20 tie wraps......do i need them? Are they regular zip ties? Well i have to get the kit on this weekend......this is my only vehicle at the moment so i all doesnt go well on sat and sun....i am screwed!!! I need a car to got to work on monday. Any advice on common installation problems would be appreciated! Thanks all!

SCH Member
    i did mine last week. i did a little bit each day after work. it went together fairly easy (instructions are useless). The only problem i ran into was with my 77mm pro-m maf didnt want to fit between the blower and the fender. so i ordered a powerpipe to put it inside the fender which will be in today. other than that i had no issues. I will be making my first test drive today... so hopefully everything stays together. oh yes they are regular tie straps.

if this is your only vehicle becareful... make sure you have enough fuel, some colder plugs gapped at .35 and set your timing at around 20-24 leaving the spout connector out it would suck to pop a head gasket and it being your only ride.

Junior SCH Member
    what spark plugs should i use? Part number? Do i need the tie wraps? I have a bone stock car so hopefully i can install it in 6 or 7 hrs. Is this a realistic time?

To set the timing....just pull out the little pill out of the distriber wire and set it at 6 deg. and then put it back in. right?

SCH Member
    i'm not sure the number to use for stock heads. I have aluminum heads and use a different plug... i think you need the motorcraft 32c's. you'll be ok without 20 tie wraps... just get you a few to hold the fmu vacuum line in place and maybe the oil line.

as for as timing goes... i always was told to pull the "pill" out and set it at 24 and leave the pill out. another words you'll be at 24 total with no retard are advancement. If you use the pill your timing will be advanced about 16 degrees from where you set it with the spout out. so if you set it at 6 then the computer advances it to 22 total. that would be safe but 6 degrees will make it really soft on the bottem end until the eec advances it. Maybe someone else will chime in on timing.

i think you can do it in 6-7hrs without a problem. it took me awhile longer because i'm anal about things and i was bypassing my smog and needed different lenght belt and i also hooked up a bypass and a 3g alternator at the same time.

Junior SCH Member
    thanks for all the info.......i will keep all of you posted
    The only thing will be hard is the hole in the oil pan.....but i heard it was easy....we will see LOL!