Thread: When do you add a blow off valve?

Junior SCH Member

When do you add a blow off valve?

I have a 4.5" 12lb pulley for a D-1SC on my sbc 333ci. I was wanting to know, when do you add a blow off valve? why wouldn't you always run one?

As far as I know it is always better to run a blow off valve. How much boost are you running? I'm assuming you have a d1-sc, I can't believe that didn't come with one.

Junior SCH Member

thanx

Quote Originally Posted by sneakypony
    As far as I know it is always better to run a blow off valve. How much boost are you running? I'm assuming you have a d1-sc, I can't believe that didn't come with one.
    I haven't got it running with the blower just yet so I don't know how much boost. Do you think it will even make 12lbs with the 4.5" pulley? They didn't mention a BOV when I purchased the system or I would have bought one. From what I have read and seen it should be used in every application. How much does a BOV cost and who do you recommend I buy one from and what brand? Thanx for your help.

My d1-sc is on a 302 with a 3.70 pulley, it makes 14psi @ 6k. Not sure what that would make on yours. I would suggest getting a blow off valve even at low boost, it just helps relieve the pressure when you close the throttle. I would call procharger for the best info on that setup, I'm sure they will be glad to sell you a bov.

Scott

Junior SCH Member

I appreciate your help. Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by sneakypony
    My d1-sc is on a 302 with a 3.70 pulley, it makes 14psi @ 6k. Not sure what that would make on yours. I would suggest getting a blow off valve even at low boost, it just helps relieve the pressure when you close the throttle. I would call procharger for the best info on that setup, I'm sure they will be glad to sell you a bov.

Scott
    I will call procharger today and see what they have to offer. I was just curious what all do you have done to your motor and what kind of times you run? Did you have someone modify your carb for you or did you do it yourself. That's all that I need to have done before I can hit the street and I want to know what route I should go.