Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Modified PCV System (5.0 Ford) Revisited

Thread: Modified PCV System (5.0 Ford) Revisited

Modified PCV System (5.0 Ford) Revisited

A while back you may recall a thread I started about my first idea on a solution to the issue of the PCV system in modifying it to work basically as Ford intended it to (important for guys like me who have to go for smog tests and are open game for roadside inspections by the Ministry Of Environment here in Ontario, Canada. My first solution didn't work perfectly due to a couple factors that are noted in the original thread:

http://www.superchargerhelp.com/show...&highlight=pcv

Anyway I finally got around to making some mods to the original idea. I made my own catch-can today out of some scrap stainless steel I got my hands on ($0) Nothing difficult to make....just time consuming. I haven't got to installing it yet as I ran out of time today but I'll put it in within the next couple of days and post the results. The theory of course is to connect the valve cover tube to the lower fitting and hopefully depositing any oil that makes it's way into the hose into the bottom of the can (the fitting actually angles directly to the floor of the can) while the upper fitting connects to the blower inlet side of the blower all of which should allow the PCV valve to pull in metered air while under vacuum as it's supposed to unlike when you use a breather cap on the valve cover. I've attached some pics below.

The first try (to give you an idea how I will hook up the hoses)

Catch can... (*Note..this ugly POS won't be mounted in a place to be seen...It will be installed on my bumper brace in front of the rad cradle. I'll post pics when it's done.)

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TheHawk05; 08-08-2004 at 06:08 PM.

Hawk, be sure to let us know how it works out....
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

ME two :D

Finished the install of the catch can today and will be testing it over the next week or so. I'll post results of how it works once I have something to report. Pics....

Sweet install, let us know how good it works :)
    Jorge

Thumbs up And the verdict is....

Well after testing the new PCV system I'm happy to report all is well to date. I've put about 200km's on the car since finishing the install with plenty of WOT blasts through all gears and not one drop of oil has made it to the inlet side of the supercharger...no oily film, no nothing. I pulled the hose coming ffrom the catch can to the powerpipe and she's clean as can be.

Another nice side benefit since losing the vent cap is the lean pops from the exhaust are gone. The car still burbles when gearing down and such but no more loud popping and cracking noises out of the exhaust like before.

Good deal Gleen, I'm gonna try the exhaust evac kit. Not worried about emissions here, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Just wondering, what vaccum level do you see in the pipe aft the MAF and before the SC?
    I cant'd imagine very much at idle, if this is the case you may not have positive vent. but just ventilation.

I ask because i would like know how you have addressed the fresh air side.

SCH Member
    very nice setup... i'd be interested in knowing if it is actually pulling vacuum all the way trough there also.

On a side note i had no idea i suppose to be venting off my pcv. I have both my tb and valve cover nipples plugged off and run the stock cap. i haven't blown the pcv out the back are any gaskets yet... am i asking for trouble??

Junior SCH Member
    How is that catch can PCV system working for you.... im thinking of running the same thing on my 347 procharged saleen... I cant open any of the pics you have on the site anymore... maybe they expired, can you send them to me? also, the last post on your thread mentioned the vacume at idle... did you ever find out anhy hard data about this? Thanks for the help..

Keith