Thread: sbc rods

Senior SCH Member

sbc rods

Well, as everone knows, I busted my crank a few weeks back. I think there was a casting flaw by the looks of things, but who really knows? I had this engine rebuilt 3 years ago and had less than 12k on the engine. I was told I had gm pm rods. Now, I am a little concerned because the rods did not have arp blots. By the looks of these rods, are they able to safely sustain 400 rwhp? I was told they were the high performance sbc rods, but now I'm not sure they are?? standard ibeam but they are thicker on one side?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dirk Diggler; 08-13-2004 at 11:01 AM.

Senior SCH Member
    thin side
    Attached Images Attached Images

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Dirk, Did you ever figure the rods out. My Pink rods in my Corvette still had the pink on them and it had 75k miles on the motor and I don't remember the metal material being thicker on one side then the other. If nothing else post the pictures on a Chevy forum and see what they can tell you.

Senior SCH Member
    Speedy,

I ended up matching my eagle 4340 crank with some scat 4340 i beam's which are capable of 700hp. I took the hit and got some westco forged pistons too....ouch! But now, I KNOW my engine will be done right! my rods are the PM rods which are capable of 450hp with arp bolts. Mine didn't have arp bolts! grrrrrrrrr!

I've read pretty decent things of the powdered metal rods. They don't exactly use them in sprint cars but they are great for sub-500hp setups. Some guys make over 600 with them.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Senior SCH Member
    yea, I was going to reuse them, however, it was going to cost me 50 bucks for arp bolts, and another 65 to re size the rods. I paid 170 for some scat 4340 i beam's with arp bolts installed. I opted for some piece of mind with 9psi, AFR heads, and maybe a shot of nos. I have a nos kit that will supply up to 150hp shot. I plan on selling the rods and pistons as a set on ebay.