Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
No color in my spark plugs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No color in my spark plugs

Junior SCH Member

No color in my spark plugs

Just wondering if I could get some idea's on why I have no color in my plugs.I have 42# injectors A complete cartech fuel system,I,am making 12# boost with a s trim, fuel pressure has been from 40 to 52 with out vac.It feels rich and runs like crap,but no color.and has blowen two set's of head gasket's in a month.Thanks for any help.
    93 LX With low mile 89 short block. Edlebrock 6025 Heads TFS Track Heat B-31 Cam 42# injectors S Trim 14# Power Pipe (anderson) Aeromotive Fuel system FMS Headers Off Road H Pipe flowmaster Cat Back Lentech Street Terminator Valve Body Lentech 9.5 Inch 3200 Stall 3.73 27-10.5 Street ET's Big and Skiney Convo PRO's

What maf are you running? what do you mean by no color in your plugs? Where is your timing?
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    What maf are you running? what do you mean by no color in your plugs? Where is your timing?
    I have a pro-m 75 cal for the 42# and supercharged.The plugs look like I just pulled them out of the box.I have a interceptor and the timing starts at 16 and i pull it back to about 11 buy 6000 rpm on 93 octane.
    93 LX With low mile 89 short block. Edlebrock 6025 Heads TFS Track Heat B-31 Cam 42# injectors S Trim 14# Power Pipe (anderson) Aeromotive Fuel system FMS Headers Off Road H Pipe flowmaster Cat Back Lentech Street Terminator Valve Body Lentech 9.5 Inch 3200 Stall 3.73 27-10.5 Street ET's Big and Skiney Convo PRO's

I would try cutting the timing way back before i did anything else. 11* is really aggresive for pump gas and 14#'s of boost. I'd also increase fuel pressure a little bit. What plugs are you running and how are they gapped?
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Junior SCH Member
    I would try cutting the timing way back before i did anything else. 11* is really aggresive for pump gas and 14#'s of boost. I'd also increase fuel pressure a little bit. What plugs are you running and how are they gapped?
    I have ngk GR4 their the same as a 32c.I had fuel pressure up to 52 with out vac and it was 64 under full boost. Most of the people on here said 38 to 40 with out vac would be enough.

Junior SCH Member
    And plug's are gapped at 32 I have a msd BTM ,and crane Ps-92 coil.

This may sound like a silly question but have you verified that your MSD is working as it should. I'm not saying you need more fuel, I would just make changes till you know your tune is nice and safe and your not going to be nearly as likely to blow a HG.

Junior SCH Member
    This may sound like a silly question but have you verified that your MSD is working as it should. I'm not saying you need more fuel, I would just make changes till you know your tune is nice and safe and your not going to be nearly as likely to blow a HG.
    I have the retard set on 0 and control all timing with Interceptor.I was at the track yesturday and was trying to tune it . started out at 40 psi and worked my way up to 52 psi and their was no change in my ET or mph.It's like what ever fuel I put in it the cumputer pulls out.I tune at the track don't really have the money for he dyno.

So what exactly are you using to pull timing.....you mention you are running an MSD BTM as well as a Crane Interceptor. I hope you aren't using both in conjunction to pull timing because that will not work properly. You can only use one or the other to pull timing, not both.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHawk05
    So what exactly are you using to pull timing.....you mention you are running an MSD BTM as well as a Crane Interceptor. I hope you aren't using both in conjunction to pull timing because that will not work properly. You can only use one or the other to pull timing, not both.
    I use the Intercepter for all timing ,btm is at 0

Are you doing a WOT blast, then killing the car and then pulling the plugs???

If you do a WOT run, then idle back to the pits or wherever you will not get a true reading on your plugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5150 LX
    Are you doing a WOT blast, then killing the car and then pulling the plugs???

If you do a WOT run, then idle back to the pits or wherever you will not get a true reading on your plugs.
    IT only idle's a few seconds before I shut it off.The plugs are white you think there would be somthing on them.

SCH Member
    Mine are also white (look like they came out of the box). I have many many wide oopen throttle blasts and a dozen or more passes down the track, no problems yet. The car does pop and backfire a bit when I let off the throttle and let it engine brake itself down. I honestly don't know if it is lean pops or unburt fuel in the exhaust igniting. The car smells and feels rich, yet the plugs are bone white in my car also.
    1989 LX Coupe
    Novi 1000, FMS/Bosch 42#'s, GT40 irons, GT40 intake, Pro-M 80mm MAF, 65mm T/B, 1.7 rockers, stock cam, MAC longtubes, MAC prochamber, flowmasters welded in stock pipes, T5z, 3.73 gears.

Best ET: 12.55
    Best MPH: 115.2

Senior SCH Member
    I think he is referring to TOTAL timing with the 11 degrees, which is actually low if he is referring to total timing. and i agree you need to make a WOT blast and kill the ignition immediatly for a proper plug reading ;)

Scott
    Scott
    1989 Saleen #492 Vortech S-trim, TFS TW heads, TFS Stage1 cam, Holley U/L, SD #55 injectors, PMS tuned

510RWHP/482RWTQ
    11.75@127 on Nitto DR's

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blown1989saleen
    I think he is referring to TOTAL timing with the 11 degrees, which is actually low if he is referring to total timing. and i agree you need to make a WOT blast and kill the ignition immediatly for a proper plug reading ;)

Scott
    my total timing is 21 at 6000 rpm