Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What am I doing?? Turbos vs Blowers....Observation..

Thread: What am I doing?? Turbos vs Blowers....Observation..

SCH Member

What am I doing?? Turbos vs Blowers....Observation..

First, let me say that I am not trying to start anything - this isnt meant as a one is better than the other. Simply an observation. Basically I am saying that each of these power adders seem to have their place.......

Really makes me wonder what I am doing... Just bought a vortech aftercooled kit for my car - but at the same time, my friend is running a single turbo kit on his COMPLETELY stock 93 (throttle body, EVERYTHING STOCK) and just dynod at over 500RWHP and 630RWTQ. Its fun to drive on the street and theres nothing else done to it. Hes beating blower cars with H/C/I as well.

I was SO close to going turbo, but I simply whimped out - My car is a clean, low mileage coupe and I didnt want to cut anything on the car, or deal with the high temperatures under the hood. So in a way, I am saying that I took the hit in the HP department in exchange for a cleaner install.

Jeff
    www.stangonline.com

Jeff, if I had the funds I'd do a Turbo as well. Hell, there's alot of things that I'd do differently had I known what course my car would take.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

SCH Member
    Money can be a factor too I guess. For what I just bought though, I could have purchased an intercooled turbo kit w/ mass air, injectors, fuel pump, everything that my friend got... I think its just a matter of how you want your car to end up. There are only a few kits that let you get away without cutting anything in the car. Superchargers rarely require you to chop chop :)

Jeff

Senior SCH Member
    we all know turbos are where it is at now a days, and i also have to say if i had the money laying around i would also go with a nice turbo setup.

Scott
    Scott
    1989 Saleen #492 Vortech S-trim, TFS TW heads, TFS Stage1 cam, Holley U/L, SD #55 injectors, PMS tuned

510RWHP/482RWTQ
    11.75@127 on Nitto DR's

SCH Member
    well crap - wtf did I just buy?? :) Naa, I think Ill enjoy it. It came with a few extras that I wouldnt get with most turbo kits. Ill keep ya posted. However, I expect to get routinly spanked by the friend I mentioned above :(

Jeff

I wouldn't he'll beat you for very long if at all. Cause you're on the edge for as far as the stock parts are concerned. If he's faster he's bound to break it. But on that not it's a crap shoot. Can you out drive him? :D ;)
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Here is a monkey in the wrench... http://www.ststurbo.com/

Rear mounted turbo setup!

Makes me want to donate the bolt for some R&D :D

---

If funds were like how they use to be and if I had a chance to start over again I would have went turbo... single setup, a big ol t-76 would be a lot but would be hella sweet and offer room for growth! It is cool to see a BONE STOCK 5.0 with stock T/B ,MAM, EVERYTHING with a single turbo system getting the car to trap 119 mph or better!!!! I Love it!
    Chris...

Current beast: 1994 Ford Mustang Cobra #379 - slated up for a windsor and some boost

Stangs and other SVT products I've owned...

2001 F150 SVT Lightning (Silver)
    JDM Stage 1 & 2 kit and 3k+ worth of audiosex
    [ sold... ]

91 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Novi 1000 - 8" Crank Powered & Nitrous Works Powered R.I.P. Friend, it was fun! [ sold... ]

93 Ford Mustang Cobra #4549 w/an s-trim and all the goodies(Metallic Teal) [ sold... ]

#001 8" Crank Pulley Club

Frank Woodall: I would "never" trailer my car.......to me , that would be like dating a "Penthouse Pet" and not having sex with her....... :D

"ALWAYS OUT NUMBERED, NEVER OUT GUNNED"

Mustang Videos! Watch'em, upload'em and we host them at:

Senior SCH Member
    Turbo's rule!!! (Now, if I could only tune my set up...)

306 Trick flow heads, Cobra Intake, E-cam, 60mm HP turbo.

I love my Novi 2000 but I love turbos as well...that torque surge at low rpm is very addictive. I strongly considered going that route with my Bird (would have maintained the Turbo Coupe theme as well!) In the end after looking at kits that were up to the quality level I expected and weren't sold by the notorious fly by night operations the cost was just too much....especially with my Canadian monopoly money which was exchanging at a rate of 1.58 at the time I was buying my go fast parts. The only kit that caught my fancy was the HP Performance Stage 1 which sells for $4300 US....that's $6794 Can. after exchange at the time considering I got my Novi2K kit for $2799 US shipped......I just can't justify spending just shy of $7000 on a power adder kit. If I was doing it today with the much more favorable exchange rate ($1.30) I'd probably do it though.

I came across a super sweet deal on a new cartech kit with an upgraded turbo. I was on the verge of sending the guy the money and then it clicked. I thought "man this would be cool but I should not be hacking up an original 93 cobra". So I, arguabley like a dumbass, turned the great deal down and went with a new NOVI 1000. Actually I am very happy with my decision because Ive installed turbos before, and I feel great about not doing it to my car. I will turbo my next Mustang though. :)
    93 Cobra - NOVI 1000 new style, Walbro GSS340, 130AMP alt, Griffin radiator, Mercury Sable fan + Delta Controller, Bassani offroad X, Magnaflow with 3" tailpipes, Tokico Illuminas, FRPP driveshaft, 3.55s, Nitto 555s (extremes up front and drags out back), Ultralite boost and EFP gauges

91 bigass Bronco 4X4, to crush ricers with

Jeff you sissy! Don't be afraid to cut! Then again, a nice kit from hp, and their is not cutting.

I'm happy with my single setup, but do miss the novi as well.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Senior SCH Member
    one of these days I might go turbo, but right now I'm loving my S-trim :D
    89 GT - old combo -AOD, S-trimed, 302, stock short block - 6.67@106 with a 1.60 60ft, 4.10 gears. dyno 474rwhp, best in 1/4 3.55 gears 10.83@128 1.67
    Damn them stock cranks :(
    new comb in the works Dart 331 turbo :D

98 GT - its a turd, but I like it ;)
    00 F-250 CC PSD 2WD- chip, converter

SCH Member
    Been installing my T-trim this weekend. Running into some problems with waterpump pulley clearance using my 8" renegade crank pulley.. Ill post a new thread in Tech after I eat dinner..