Thread: 90mm Lightning MAF on my 93 LX?

SCH Member

90mm Lightning MAF on my 93 LX?

Ive been told that this works - just have to rewire the harness.
    I have also heard that LMAFs arent calibrated for any particular injector, rather they get it from the EEC. Is that true, and if so, what does it mean to me? :)

Any info? Will be used with 42lb injectors.

Thanks
    Jeff

SCH Member
    Don't. Not worth the hassle of getting a chip burned for the different transfer function, etc...
    I tried it, had 0 luck and just bought a Pro-M. Car ran like a top even w/o the PMS, whereas with the LMAF it'd slobber so rich that the plugs were fouled in 10-15 minutes!
    If you do do it, you'll need a chip burned for the different transfer function of the LMAF and also wire the different plug into your harness. You can pick it up at a dealer for like $15.
    68 Charger R/T-493/727/3.91
    87 Buick-Stock 3.8 with a whistle
    90 LX hatch-Titanium/black interior, 347, ported Twisted Wedge's & Track Heat, Novi 2000, 42# injectors, Pro-M 80, T56, Spec Stage 3, Cobra brakes f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, Maximum Motorsports uppers/lowers/CC plates, 4.10's, front coilovers, PMS, Bullit wheels.
    02 SOM SS, A4-Stock-Have cam, converter, N20 in the closet.

SCH Member
    So it basically makes the computer tell the MAF what size injector to work with? Wierd.. Sounds like there is much more to it than putting the correct harness on..

O well. A chip at this point is out of the question - so perhaps Ill just shoot for another mass air meter... sad day for a broke dude like me..

Thanks
    Jeff

SCH Member
    I wouldn't be sad man, I solved my LMAF's problems with a BFH and man did it feel GOOD! Putting that Pro-M on there was the best thing I've done other than the PMS for getting the car to run well. Now it'll lug along at 13-1400 rpm without bucking and such, whereas before it would hardly run!
    90 LX hatch-Titanium/black interior, 347, ported Twisted Wedge's & Track Heat, Novi 2000, 42# injectors, Pro-M 80, T56, Spec Stage 3, Cobra brakes f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, Maximum Motorsports uppers/lowers/CC plates, 4.10's, front coilovers, PMS, Bullit wheels.

SCH Member
    Did you get the pro-m that was specifically for the powerpipe?

SCH Member
    Don't know that they make one for a powerpipe, I had to use a silicone hose coupler to attach it to the pipe if that's what you mean...It's not the chrome bullet, but the full body with filter attached on the end.

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon01
    Don't know that they make one for a powerpipe, I had to use a silicone hose coupler to attach it to the pipe if that's what you mean...It's not the chrome bullet, but the full body with filter attached on the end.
    Working on selling the LMAF and getting the pro-m. Which of the 80mm did you get. I see the full bodied plastic ones. Do they specify when its going to be used for a draw-through, or does that only matter for blow-through?

You car sounds similar to mine, got any pics?
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Pro-M 80mm shorty is the one.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

SCH Member
    I got the n/a cal from AFM. I do believe there are forced induction cal's too, but it seems everyone agrees that they're easier to tune.
    I don't have any recent pics since all the changes were made, but it does look exactly like yours other than being a hatch with Bullits and the black moldings since it's a 90. I'll put some up when I get time to snap em. Your car is SWEET! uNf! ;)

I have "heard" that alot of tuners prefer the regular calibration meters as opposed the the S/C calibrated ones as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

SCH Member
    That's what I've heard too. Something about the n/a cal's being more predictable or something since the s/c cal richens up on the top end or something.