Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
10 Rib Belt ?

Thread: 10 Rib Belt ?

Junior SCH Member

Angry 10 Rib Belt ?

While doing some tuning the otherday I broke Traction badly and thru a belt

It's the '7/3.5 5100568 Dayco Polycog' as listed in the belt guide above

Besides being a bit upset that this BRAND NEW belt tore in half with abo0t 15 minutes of running time ......

I am Even more upset that Paxton devised a setup that requires a CUSTOM made Belt

This Damn belt is $70 and ONLY made for Paxton (according to them)

I will be going to a smaller blower pulley down the road as I am only seeing 7lbs of boost with the stock setup .....but WTF

I would have liked to get atleast some time out of this damn thing before I have to go Drop $$ on belts already

I tightened the belt per Paxtons (and other users) specs

I guess I am just Ranting

I am wondering if I should even bother with this 10 Rib stuff?

Should I just change pulleys now and go 8rib? ....maybe a cog?

Can someone shed some light on this ??

I Ultimatly want to run 10-12psi

Thanks for all the help,
    Jon

Here is a pic http://85gt.com/new_project/done/done03.jpg
    Last edited by RI85GT; 08-23-2004 at 11:03 AM. Reason: added a pic

If ya tossed a belt that quick, I would look closely at the pulley alignment. Something has to be amiss there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

The custom made line is BS....you can get that belt from just about any DAYCO dealer. Many users of this forum have purchased that belt from local auto parts stores for WAY less cash than $70...like half that price or less. Up here in Canada where I am I can't get it from my local Auto Parts store ( I think they were just too lazy to check for me ) so I contacted DAYCO Canada. They told me that belt is a common use industrial machine belt, nothing special and that I could source it from a vendor who deals in that type of equipment of which they gave me a dealer list in my area. They even gave me the suggested list for it...40 something Canadian (about $35 US)

Sorry to hear it broke on you but it does happen from time to time and depending on what kind of RPM you hit when you blitzed the tires is not uncommon.....serpentines can only spin so fast (typically only happy below 6500 rpm) Check to make sure your pulley alignments are all good as they can sometimes vary slightly. Find a nice straight edge that you can lay flat against the face of the crank and blower pulleys.

As well don't be put off by the 7 psi. Boost is a function of restriction more than anything. It's typical to see 10 psi or more on a stock 5.0 and then have that number drop when high flowing heads and such are added. Chances are good even though you're making 7 psi you may be making big power. Still, even with your AFR's I see in the pic (I'll assume they're in the 185 range) you should see around 10 psi by 6000 rpm as I do with the stock pulley's provided the belt is not slipping and that your blow off is not bleeding off any boost on you.

Junior SCH Member
    thanks guys

I did call around and managed to find a place to special order one for around $40 ...take a few days tho

The pulleys are aligned perfectly. There wasn't a problem till I bounced off the Limiter @ 7K

As far as belt tension goes.... After talking with many SC guys , I came to the conclusion that there is no 'set way' to tighten the belt. You just have to find a happy medium between Slipping & Shredding.

I tightened it so I could Almost turn the belt 90º at the longest stretch

Thoughts?

I'll measure by belt deflection tomorrow on my car in a manner you can easily repeat yourself and post it to maybe give you a guideline. No tossed belts or any slip here and the belt isn't cranked super tight by any means.

Here's what I did. I laid a straight edge on top of the belt between the crank pulley and belt tensioner pulley. I pressed down in the middle of the belt with some effort and got 3/4" of deflection which may not sound like a lot but it's not a huge span between those two points.

So whatever happened, did you get it working?