Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Vortech still make the V-1 S trim?

Junior SCH Member

Does Vortech still make the V-1 S trim?

Just wondering. I'm guessing they do, but I know they have the new SQ trim so I wondered if they had phased out the V1 S trim.

Thanks

I think you can but the dealers would consider it a special order. The SC is the old V1 S-trim. Vortech spins it slower for the 5 psig rating.

Chris

Banned by Admin
    As far as I know you can still get it, as for the S-trim and SC being the same, I'll have to disagree.

Junior SCH Member
    I called Vortech today, and you can still order the loud V1 S trim, you just have to specifiy that's the one you want.

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by aseecobra
    The SC is the old V1 S-trim. Vortech spins it slower for the 5 psig rating.

Chris
    This is incorrect. The V-1 S is still just as available today as ever. Although, the V-2 SQ seems to be the unit of choice from most of our customers, so many of our stocking distributors would be more likely to have an SQ system in stock over an S.

The SC-Trim has replaced the old A-Trim units because of its ease of upgradeability. The SC-Trim and S-Trim units are not the same supercharger. The SC-Trim has a different impeller which at the same RPM will produce less boost pressure than an S-Trim. The SC-Trim is capable of the same maximum boost as the S-Trim, it just needs to be spun faster in order to do so.

The concept of spinning the SC-Trim slower described by aseecobra could never apply because a belt driven charger's impeller RPM is directly correlated to the engine RPM. Unless, of course, he was implying we were including a larger supercharger pulley to make the supercharger spin slower, but this is also incorrect as both systems include a 3.33" drive pulley.
    RACER X

Sales Rep. for Vortech Superchargers

Daily driver: '02 SVT Focus
    Weekend cruiser: 347c.i. powered 1993 Mustang GT (As seen in 2002 issue of MM&FF's Sexy Stangs)

My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes...

Junior SCH Member
    Do you think vortech will ever post the compressor map on their site for the SC-trim?
    '91 GT (Original Owner)
    SC-trim w/ bypass, TFS Street intake, 65 mm FMS TB, 7" crank pulley, Morpheus pipe, 30# FMS injectors, 255 GSS340 Walbro, 3.55's, 1 5/8 shorties, Magnaflow catback

Junior SCH Member
    I was actually just reading a little blurb in an old MM and FF that was talking about how Vortech had just introduced the SC trim. They said that it uses the S trim impellar, but the tops are cut off to limit the amount of boost it produces. Other than that, they are supposed to be very similar. I personally have no real idea though, I'm just going off what I have read.

racer x,

Are you an employee of Vortech Engineering?

According to Vortech's technical people and the dealer I recently bought my SC-trim from the V-1 series SC-Trim head unit is the same as the V-1 S-trim head unit. I was told by Vortech that only difference is the SC-trim has a 6 rib pulley. The SC has the same straight cut gears, same gear ratio, same 3.33" pulley diameter and same impeller as the V1 S-trim.

Concerning the impeller, I have removed the S-trim that is 4 years old from my other mustang and compared the impeller to this new SC-trim and they are visually the same.

Now about what I meant concerning blower RPM and spinning it slower......the SC-trim has a 6" diameter crank pulley and the S and SQ-trim has a 6.87" diameter crank pulley. You do the math.

Chris

Junior SCH Member
    Concerning the impeller, I have removed the S-trim that is 4 years old from my other mustang and compared the impeller to this new SC-trim and they are visually the same.
    Did you actually remove the impellers from their housings and compare the two?
    '91 GT (Original Owner)
    SC-trim w/ bypass, TFS Street intake, 65 mm FMS TB, 7" crank pulley, Morpheus pipe, 30# FMS injectors, 255 GSS340 Walbro, 3.55's, 1 5/8 shorties, Magnaflow catback

Junior SCH Member
    According to Vortech (And 5.0 magazine) the SC trim is a S trim impeller trimmed down to limit boost.
    1990 Mustang LX 5.0

Vortech, etc.

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by hcracerx
    The V-1 S is still just as available today as ever.
    :) GOOD! If anythign ever happened to my S-Trim, I would never want a SQ! I love my nice and loud S-Trim!!!
    **93 Calypso Green LX 5.0, 1 of 654**
    BBK Ceramic coated shorties, Stainless H-pipe, Flowmaster catback, underdrive pullies, and 3:55 gears!

**89 LX 5.0**
    Vortech S-Trim with AFM Powerpipe, Pro-M with 36lb injectors, Kirban AFPR, FMS ceramic coated headers, Hedman Offroad H-Pipe, Flowmaster Catback, Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter, 3.73 gears, and a few gauges!

**90 LX 2.3**
    88hp of one wheel spinning fury. The best 835.79 spent so far!

Junior SCH Member
    Racer X,

Are you an employee of Vortech Engineering?

According to Vortech's technical people and the dealer I recently bought my SC-trim from the V-1 series SC-Trim head unit is the same as the V-1 S-trim head unit. I was told by Vortech that only difference is the SC-trim has a 6 rib pulley. The SC has the same straight cut gears, same gear ratio, same 3.33" pulley diameter and same impeller as the V1 S-trim.
    Yes, I am an employee of Vortech, as it says in my sig. I can be reached at Vortech by calling (805) 247-0226 x236. My name is Brian Ellis.

Our technical assistance department would not tell anyone that the S-Trim and SC-Trim are the same unit because that is not the truth. It is true, however, that most of the components of the SC are identical to the S. A few of the other guys posting had the correct information in that the SC impeller has trimmed blades. So, the SC impeller appears quite similar to the S, but is in fact not due to the machined impeller blades. They may have the same gearcase and volute, but since the difference in impeller affects the output of the unit, it is not the same supercharger head unit, and cannot be referred to thusly.

It is unfortunate that any of our distributors would be unaware of the facts on this issue, but right after the conversion from A to SC in the entry level 86-93 5.0 supercharging system, there was some confusion as to what was what. However, by now all of our distributors should now be aware of what is included in that system.
    RACER X

Sales Rep. for Vortech Superchargers

Daily driver: '02 SVT Focus
    Weekend cruiser: 347c.i. powered 1993 Mustang GT (As seen in 2002 issue of MM&FF's Sexy Stangs)

My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes...

Junior SCH Member
    Well, when are you guys at Vortech gonna post the SC-trim compressor map on your website???

Thanks, John
    '91 GT (Original Owner)

Senior SCH Member
    i would like to see a pic of the SC impeller
    97 ex cab 3dr, black, stock 4.3, VORTECH V2 SQ / PowerStroke FMIC, A4

Junior SCH Member
    so then can someone tell me if the sc-trim is in fact different than the s and the a, why then does the vortech website say that the sc-trim comes with an a-trim supercharger, opposed to saying it comes with an sc-trim supercharger.

according to everything i have read the a is no longer being made and the sc is a new redesigned supercharger with the s impeller that is cut to limit boost. am i correct???
    Joe

Broke a Lakewood shock, if anyone has one for sale pm me please.

89 LX Coupe - cobra intake, 65mm throttle body, cobra 1.7 roller rockers, 1 5/8" mac long tubes, off road mac h pipe, 2 chamber flowmasters, king cobra clutch, 3.55s, mac pullies, lakewood 50/50 shocks, ponies with yokohamas and nitto DR in the back, K&N, saleen pedals, white face gauges, & white face a/c gauges. doing interior swap from tan to black so that pushes the blower back for awhile anyway. mint black front and rear coupe seats ($100).

Waiting to go on: freshly rebuilt T5 Z, pro 5.0 shifter, 92 black dash, 92 black center console, black door panels.

Sitting waiting for the blower: vortech BTM, bosch bypass valve (110)

my buddy bought my 89 GT...306, ported GT-40 heads, Motorsport (FRPP) 1.72 roller rockers, Edelbrock Performer intake, FRPP Pulleys, B-303 cam, 75mm bullet MAF, 24lb injectors, 65mm throttle body, 1 5/8" equal length shorties, off road hpipe, 3.73s, flowmasters, Koni Reds, Hotchkis caster/camber plates, K&N and subframe connectors.