Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Vortech still make the V-1 S trim?

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by houstonstangguy
    so then can someone tell me if the sc-trim is in fact different than the s and the a, why then does the vortech website say that the sc-trim comes with an a-trim supercharger, opposed to saying it comes with an sc-trim supercharger.

according to everything i have read the a is no longer being made and the sc is a new redesigned supercharger with the s impeller that is cut to limit boost. am i correct???
    houstonstangguy, you are correct. The A-trim is no longer being manufactured by Vortech. I think they haven't gotten around to updating the website. You may possibly be able to find an A however, on a store shelf, it that's what you want. I have the SC-trim which is the replacement for the A. The A and SC are distinguishable by looking at the intake side of the blower. Straight impeller vanes indicates an A (or other first gen Vortech) and curved over vanes indicates an SC. When I bought mine, the A and SC had the same part number. Not sure if that's how it is now. So if you are buying new, make sure you confirm what your getting.

From Vortech's website (buried I believe under the tech/download/supercharger section) are specs for all compressors. On there, you can see that the SC has the same absolute hp potential of the S trim, but must spin several thou rpm higher to get there. One interesting note is that it has a higher max efficiency than the S-trim.

Are you thinking of getting one?
    '91 GT (Original Owner)
    SC-trim w/ bypass, TFS Street intake, 65 mm FMS TB, 7" crank pulley, Morpheus pipe, 30# FMS injectors, 255 GSS340 Walbro, 3.55's, 1 5/8 shorties, Magnaflow catback

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by 91GTFiveO
    houstonstangguy, you are correct. The A-trim is no longer being manufactured by Vortech. I think they haven't gotten around to updating the website. You may possibly be able to find an A however, on a store shelf, it that's what you want. I have the SC-trim which is the replacement for the A. The A and SC are distinguishable by looking at the intake side of the blower. Straight impeller vanes indicates an A (or other first gen Vortech) and curved over vanes indicates an SC. When I bought mine, the A and SC had the same part number. Not sure if that's how it is now. So if you are buying new, make sure you confirm what your getting.

From Vortech's website (buried I believe under the tech/download/supercharger section) are specs for all compressors. On there, you can see that the SC has the same absolute hp potential of the S trim, but must spin several thou rpm higher to get there. One interesting note is that it has a higher max efficiency than the S-trim.

Are you thinking of getting one?
    hey 91GTFiveO

thanks for the reply. i saw that you had one and actually printed a few of the threads that you posted on because i am sure you had some of the same questions that i do.

the funny thing is that here in houston there is a pretty big performace shop that i emailed and asked about this blower. my old speed shop closed. this speed shops owner emailed me and asked me if i was talking about the "SQ" trim because there was no SC. i laughed and emailed him back and copied the vortech page with the sc trim on it and emailed it to him. i explained all that i had read about it and heard about it and he replied and told me that it "looked" like it was still the a trim blower, and i couldnt really argue with him because the info came straight from vortechs website. the thing is that i wanted them to do my install but im not gonna let someone who isnt even familiar with the blower install it. especially since i knew more about it than he did. his reply was that most of their customers prefer more boost than that and that is why he didnt know about this blower. he also said that vortech isnt very good about keeping their vendors up to date with the new systems. either way i didnt feel good about letting them do it.

to answer your question, yes i think after much debate between the novi 1000 and the sc, and going back and forth for the last 6-7 weeks i have decided on the vortech. did you get it dyno tuned when you installed it??

joe
    Joe

Broke a Lakewood shock, if anyone has one for sale pm me please.

89 LX Coupe - cobra intake, 65mm throttle body, cobra 1.7 roller rockers, 1 5/8" mac long tubes, off road mac h pipe, 2 chamber flowmasters, king cobra clutch, 3.55s, mac pullies, lakewood 50/50 shocks, ponies with yokohamas and nitto DR in the back, K&N, saleen pedals, white face gauges, & white face a/c gauges. doing interior swap from tan to black so that pushes the blower back for awhile anyway. mint black front and rear coupe seats ($100).

Waiting to go on: freshly rebuilt T5 Z, pro 5.0 shifter, 92 black dash, 92 black center console, black door panels.

Sitting waiting for the blower: vortech BTM, bosch bypass valve (110)

my buddy bought my 89 GT...306, ported GT-40 heads, Motorsport (FRPP) 1.72 roller rockers, Edelbrock Performer intake, FRPP Pulleys, B-303 cam, 75mm bullet MAF, 24lb injectors, 65mm throttle body, 1 5/8" equal length shorties, off road hpipe, 3.73s, flowmasters, Koni Reds, Hotchkis caster/camber plates, K&N and subframe connectors.

Junior SCH Member
    Yeah, doesn't give you the warm and fuzzies if the speed shop doesn't know what they're installing or maybe selling you. I'm sure they "know" how to install a typical blower kit, but just aren't up on the new offerings. Actually, the kit is exactly the same as the former A kit, just the head unit is different. I installed myself. Was fairly straightforward.

Well, I think everyone who is seriously looking at the base offerings from vortech and paxton (same company, actually) goes through the same emotional rollercoaster ride deciding on what to get. I know I did.

I haven't been to the dyno yet or had it tuned and am totally itching to go check the numbers, but I want to install my boost and fuel pressure gauges before I go. And I've been lazy at getting that done (its about 65% done - just need to route the wiring and hook up to the sources). I hear a tune is worth a good 25 hp as typically the engine runs pig rich during boost with the 12:1 fmu. I'm not going to get a tune now, as I have other performance goodies awaiting install. I just want to check the numbers and maybe go with a smaller ratio fmu disk while there at the dyno. Also looking at the tweecer or pms for tuning in the semi distant future. IMO, the SC-trim is a great choice.:D
    '91 GT (Original Owner)
    SC-trim w/ bypass, TFS Street intake, 65 mm FMS TB, 7" crank pulley, Morpheus pipe, 30# FMS injectors, 255 GSS340 Walbro, 3.55's, 1 5/8 shorties, Magnaflow catback

Junior SCH Member
    so which set of gauges did you go with? i still need those too and want them when i put the blower in.

i think im gonna go with the autometer cobalt series gauges.
    Joe

Broke a Lakewood shock, if anyone has one for sale pm me please.

89 LX Coupe - cobra intake, 65mm throttle body, cobra 1.7 roller rockers, 1 5/8" mac long tubes, off road mac h pipe, 2 chamber flowmasters, king cobra clutch, 3.55s, mac pullies, lakewood 50/50 shocks, ponies with yokohamas and nitto DR in the back, K&N, saleen pedals, white face gauges, & white face a/c gauges. doing interior swap from tan to black so that pushes the blower back for awhile anyway. mint black front and rear coupe seats ($100).

Waiting to go on: freshly rebuilt T5 Z, pro 5.0 shifter, 92 black dash, 92 black center console, black door panels.

Sitting waiting for the blower: vortech BTM, bosch bypass valve (110)

my buddy bought my 89 GT...306, ported GT-40 heads, Motorsport (FRPP) 1.72 roller rockers, Edelbrock Performer intake, FRPP Pulleys, B-303 cam, 75mm bullet MAF, 24lb injectors, 65mm throttle body, 1 5/8" equal length shorties, off road hpipe, 3.73s, flowmasters, Koni Reds, Hotchkis caster/camber plates, K&N and subframe connectors.

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by houstonstangguy
    according to everything i have read the a is no longer being made and the sc is a new redesigned supercharger with the s impeller that is cut to limit boost. am i correct???
    That is correct. As I mentioned previously, for convenience and upgradeability, the A was replaced by the SC in the entry level 5.0 system. That way, the customer does not have to send in their head unit when they want to upgrade past 10psi., which was necessary prior to the change.

I apologize if all portions of the website have not yet been updated. Please direct all suggestions/requests for postings on the website (compressor maps, info, etc.), to info@vortechsuperchargers.com
    RACER X

Sales Rep. for Vortech Superchargers

Daily driver: '02 SVT Focus
    Weekend cruiser: 347c.i. powered 1993 Mustang GT (As seen in 2002 issue of MM&FF's Sexy Stangs)

My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes...