Thread: Need some info...

Junior SCH Member

Unhappy Need some info...

Friend and I just got done installing a P600b on his 89 mustang. First problem is the kit was used and it came with what were supposed to be the correct 12rib belts and pulley system, blower pulley was wrong along with the belts. Second the discharger tube (rubber hose) not only hits the power steering pressure line, but the sway bar mounting bracket. Then third it seems like the blower sits back to far and the inlet tube is kinked trying to make the bend to the fender area. We found an 8 rib belt that would work for length of the pullies (pro charger sent him a new pulley which is SUPOSED to be the 11lb unit.) So after hooking the boost guage up and going out and doing a little WOT testing we only saw 6PSI!!! Thought maybe something wasnt right so I double checked EVERYTHING and everything seems to be correct. We double and tripple checked the blower before installing it to make sure we didnt find any visual problems with it. So here are my questions:

Will not having the 8 rib belt on the 12rib system cause a loss in boost?

Is it a common problem for the discharge tube off the blower to hit so many items?

Is it common for the blower inlet tube to be bent in this manner, and if so how did the majority of you fix this problem?

The tensioner seems to be spring loaded, is this wrong? Is there a certain amount of play or anything you are suposed to have on the belt to have the correct amount of tension on it?

We looked in the installation manual for some of these questions and nothing was in it to help us out.

This is a early cast bracket system, 2 core intercooler, horizontal mount system if that helps you guys out any.

Junior SCH Member
    What you may be seeing is belt slippage. The cast brackets are junk IMO. All the items on my mustang were very tight, close to everything but my intercooler is mounted vertical... in behind the front bumper cover. I had alot of problems with my kit I bought used and decided to buy all the piping and the new bracket with tensioner and never had any problems again with the belt slipping. I have alot of pictures of my intercooler/ blower install at work. I'll upload tomorrow and post some up.

SCH Member
    Mine hits everywhere you described, Get rid of the 8 rib. I run two 6 rib belts and get full boost( 14#). Plus you can get them at any parts store, I've found Goodyear Gatorbacks to work the best.
    306,Ported Twisted Wedges,Procharger P600b 14# Intercooled, Holly Systemax 2 intake, E-303 cam,75mm tb, Pro-M Univer caled for 42's,Msd 6al & coil,AFPR set at 45#, 255lph intank,T-rex inline