Thread: OCTANE BOOSTER

SCH Member

OCTANE BOOSTER

Is there any benifit to adding octane booster to 91 or 92octane gas? If so whats the best to use?

Most octane boosters will only add 1 to your octane rating, unless you use a race type octane booster, and even that will only give 2 maybe 3 points. if it were me i would use race fuel, it will give you more margin of safety than octane booster. JMO
    Jorge

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Save money in the long run and purchase a water/methanal injection unit. You do not have listed how much boost your making but you can with water injection be making 115 octane with the methanal. Power in a bottle is a joke and usually does nothing.

unless it's a bottle of blue, 10lb. variety. :D
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    Try running some toluene for a nice octane boost, can find it in paint stores for @ $8-$10 per gallon (explain that you are using it for an octane booster at the race track, alot of junkies try to buy this for "huffing", and it is "illegal" to use it as a highway fuel (only on a tax basis). 1:10 mix will raise octane 2-3 points, 1:5 will raise it 4-6 points. This stuff will tint your spark plugs red same as most of the commercial octane boosters. Xylene works in a similar manner but is harder on fuel system soft parts, toluene won't affect soft parts at all.

You might want to try a few gallons of Avgas if you have a small airport nearby, most of them these days sell 100 LL (low lead), only problem is tougher cold starts, because the vapor pressure is much different for the Avgas, and some fuel system parts may be affected over the long term.

My favorite race gas is Sunoco Turbo Blue.
    Chris

SCH Member
    I have a 12# kit, I have been running 91 for the few hundred miles Ive had it on. I havent noticed any detonation. I hate to buy race fuel if I dont need to because of expense and availability, and I dont want to waste money on octane boosters if they don't work! I feel that is what I have been doing. How much more power is in race gas? About how much more timing can you put in with it?

There is alot more power in a race gas tune-up. Emphasis on the word tune up. Everything has to "happy". I buy a 55 gallon drum of Torco 112 every year now and it only comes to about 3.85 a gallon. The local guys order a full truck and everyone buys off them cause the more they buy the cheaper they get it. Talk to some local hardcore drag racers about getting some and i bet you'll get hooked up.

But if it's just a street car then i just give it a pump gas tune.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

the only octane booster I would trust would be the torco stuff. and that would just be a band aid until I can get some real gas. Until then, if I'm on pump gas, I'll just turn the timing down a couple degrees. This makes more since to me if you are wanting to run pump gas. Then just add a few gallons fo the good stuff, and bump the timing back up.

and for the record!

I think it's gay that no one wants to put good gas in their cars. It's 35 bucks for 5 gallons of gas, or 1k+ for a shelled motor, or the headache of changing a headgasket.

Dammit people, just buy 5 gallons of 101 and don't worry about it.

One more thing. Don't mix your good gas, with the pump junk. The chemical aspects don't work out to the ratio you would think.

Brandon
    Last edited by UNTCHBL; 08-30-2004 at 11:04 PM.
    90 strawberry coupe