Thread: BLEW MY CLUTCH

Junior SCH Member 1995 SC cobra's Avatar

BLEW MY CLUTCH

Hey,

Just blew the clutch over the weekend, looking to buy a new one, anyone ever use a 96-98 Cobra Centerforce dual friction clutch? Centerforce says this clutch is rated @ 700 HP, I have a 94 Cobra 302, and looking at 530HP, anyone want to comment ?

I have a dual friction , it had 14lbs of procharger and held up fine, haven't tried it with the s-trim yet. if it goes i'll be using a spec 3 clutch. some 03 cobra guys i know have had no luck with centerfoce, but seem to have really good luck with spec 3 clutches. These are mid 10sec cobra's.
    Jorge

the centerforce clutches are only marginally good at low rpm at best. The use a very weak clamping spring, in order to keep pedal feel nice and soft. To compensate for this, they use weights that are pressed into the springs (via, centrifugial forces created by higher rpms) and thus causing the springs to act as if they are stiffer.

The centerforce clutches are at their best at rpm. When subjected to alot of torque without the rpm, (launching a car on slicks) they tend to be junk.

so, they probably woudl work great in a moderate horsepower street car, but for the track and something with torque, I'd probably go with a spec, or just get used to replacing motorsport heavy dutys, since they work well into the 10's, and are cheaper then anything spec makes.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Junior SCH Member 1995 SC cobra's Avatar
    Thanks, so Spec is very good and Centerforce is good also for some cars on the street, my car is on the street almost all the time, and never driven with slicks but maybe a drag radial at best. I run a S trim up to 6200RPM, the clutch that went out was a king cobra and was just smoking in third on sat. I just like a softer pedal and was checking into the Centerforce. How about flywheels? Anyone running a aluminum unit or steel ?