Thread: Street Rod Motor Dual Vr4 347ci

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar

Dual Vr4 347ci

Well in my Photo section I have a picture of my now completed(engine) 347 Dual VR4 which has been named by the spouse. Project Bankrupt.
    This is not the final installation of the Superchargers but the swing bracket was not done yet which will raise the blowers and the drivers side will be farther out because I am putting the air condition back on and another take up pulley will also be off the air bracket to keep the charger belt tight. I will also NOT be installing this in my street rod kit car. To Fund this project I am selling my Street Beast Street Rod which I have 7 years in building. This engine combination instead will be put in a Mustang(71-72 Mach 1) for the goal of car shows and for maybe being picked for next years Hot Rod Tour.
    Last edited by speedytang; 08-07-2004 at 06:18 PM.

Aaron that is one crazy looking setup! congrats......you going to smackdown?
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Senior SCH Member
    Wow. Thats awesome man.

Are you running both of those on a 6rib?

I have a 8-rib setup for if I install it in something with radiator clearance and if I can find a 8-rib belt the length I need. I also have the intake and carbs and carb bonnets sold to a guy with a Twin Turbo setup so I am going to be fuel injected with a Cobra lower and a Hogan upper with a throttle body on each side. The engine should be done in a week when the guy picks up the intake and carbs and I pickup my upper intake. I would like to run the engine on a dyno but nothing close with a Ford EEC system setup. I will need to install it in something then tune the PMS System on a Chassis Dyno. I have a Horsepower guess and hope it exceeds it.

Brent when is it? I have not been to the web site lately to see the date.

Aaron i think it is October 22nd. Twin t-body efi would be really slick. There's a good dyno is prospect but again not for EFI stuff.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

When Bob host that on those cool days it is like someone hits the car with a 50 shot of nitrous. LOL
    Thanks for the Info.

Update:
    Well went to the Engine Dyno and had a real problem with the Hogan intake which I kind of figured. It moved my boost from 1800 rpm to about 2750 rpm to build 5psi. I had them run it from 1500rpm-7200rpm and the numbers are just scary. 1500 rpm only built 88hp then the motor jumped on the stand at 2500rpm - 242hp and it climbed to 6800rpm - 685hp at 8.2psi on one VR4 and 7.9psi on the other VR4 and they put a flapper looking door on the discharge pipe on each supercharger and they ranged at WOT between 1340-1524 cfm each. I am going to change the intake once again to something else like a RPM II and use a single throttle body and have a 4" Y-pipe made to connect both superchargers together. Dyno time is so expensive so I think my best route is to install this motor in my car and go to a chassis dyno and play with the PMS and turn it up to 14psi of boost on each VR4. My motor should be able to hold 1000hp+ so I shall see if I can get it to at least 800hp - 650rwhp. The dyno had EGT probes on each cylinder and the operator said they all was within 85 degrees. The timing was at 24 total degrees. I have a sheet with some information but the Engine Dyno was like 20 years old and no electronic print out so I know the engine runs but nothing to help with tuning so a chassis dyno is next. I took a complete harness and a computer with me and they started to bill me when they had the engine hooked up and it took me another hour to get it to start. Water temperature stayed between 178-194 degrees with a 180degrees thermostat. Oil pressure was at 80ish. I did not use my supercharger oil coolers since to much work to make them work on the stand but the F-type was still really red and no grey coloring. To hear that engine scream was just a rush but when he shut it down I about freaked because it sounded like something let loose. The engine was smoking like crazy from the water leaking out of dyno cooling hose and the smell of fresh paint burning. I about had a $7500 heart attack. The engine took over 12 hours to cool down to the touch and Friday a day later I swear the engine was still warm when you touched the oil pan.. I am going to pull the pan and check all clearances today and do a compression check. All to report for now till I can find a car to put it in or put it in mine later in the year when my car is parked for the season.

Senior SCH Member
    I can only imagine with two vr4's how that thing must run. Amazing.

Would that setup fit in a fox body? You would probably have to have a massive cowl hood at least.

It will fit in my car fine if I move the battery to the trunk and the washer fluid bottle. I need the snorkle hole to run the air cleaner. In my picture the VR4's had not been pushed down in the bracket yet because I was still making the lower support to stop flex. Just pulled the pan and everything looks good on the main bearings and rod bearings. I will cut apart the oil filter tonight or tomorrow and see what I fine. I am trying to use the PMS and the MSD Fuel Pump booster so I can keep my 42lb injectors so that my fuel mileage will stay close to what I get now. I am not planning this to be a drag race car just a nice cruiser with something different under the hood. I did road race for years and would enjoy open track events again since you get 20 minutes to run instead of 11 seconds.