Thread: Stock Strim, Boost levels per gear and loading up probs!!!

Junior SCH Member

Stock Strim, Boost levels per gear and loading up probs!!!

What i'm asking is a newbie question most likely. SO bare with me... I noticed when i stomp it in 1st gear the boost climbs very quickly to 8psi approx. Then I slowly shifted to 2nd(just put on being careful till dyno time tomorrow sunday), it was once again floored and it goes right up to 5psi then gradually climbed up to about 8psi approx. I thought under load and load increasing as you shift the quicker it would hit its highest boost level. When i hit 2nd or even roll along at 4K Rpm's and smack on it i thought it would go right up to max boost levels but it hits about 5 then goes up. When in 1st gear with supposed less load it jumps up there very quickly. Is this normal boosting or something not right? My thinking out of whack or something?

My car mods:
    Holley systemax intake
    AFR 185 heads
    Vortech Strim 8-10lbs kit, FMU 30lbs, MAF 30lbs,30lbs injectors, Trex inline, 190 Intank pump.
    Autolite 3923's one heat range colder gapped to .037
    MSD 6AL
    MSD BTM set at 1.5 retard
    12degs of timing
    93 octane
    3.55 gears
    full exhaust off road
    on a 1993 cobra!!

So with that also i believe the car is loading up on deceleration. The check engine light only comes on when let off the gas and slowing down while in gear especially down hill. Sometimes when that comes on i try to give it gas and it has a slight hesitation like it loaded up and goes fine. Don't see a big cloud of smoke when it does it just like it loaded up. If it is loading up what should me attack plan? Thanks for any replies and hope to sit it on the rollers tomorrow to check air fuel etc for driveability and maybe make a full pull to make me sad at my low #'s.

First off, your car will pull harder in first gear than 2nd gear due to the higher first gear ratio. Therefore boost will build more slowly in the remainding gears than in first gear.

Secondly, where is your fuel pressure set to?

Where you able to get this on a dyno at all???

These style blowers are not really load dependant like turbo's. Rpm's are everything. @ 'x' amout of rpm you should 'y' amount of boost in any gear you're in.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D