Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Drove it for the first time - NO BOOST!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drove it for the first time - NO BOOST!

Drove it for the first time - NO BOOST!

I drove it to the gas station and I had zero boost on my gauge. IT runs awful farting and popping under WOT. Gauge never moved off 0.0. I know the gauge works because I hooked 10 psi off my compressor to the vacuum for my BTM, FMU, Bypass and gauge and it read fine. My FP doesn't go up under load either. DO I have a huge vacuum leak or what? Right now my FP is 38 vacuum off, plugs are 3923 Autolites gapped @ .032. I have 30lb injectors with the correct disc in the FMU, C&L MAF, Kirban AFPR, 255lph gss340 pump, MSD 6BTM, FTS heads intake and stg. 1 cam. Timing is @10* BTM on 0(for now). I am about to give up on this thing The car ran better before the NOVI install, and all parts except the NOVI and related parts were on the car and worked fine. Car won't idle for 2-3 minutes after initial startup either. Also does anyone have a GOOD picture of a bypass to make sure its not backwards. Where is all my boost and why is it running so bad? HELP??!!

Well either you've got a huge vacuum leak, or you have belt slip, maybe both. if it won't idle cold, it sounds lean which certainly indicates a vacuum leak. What is your vacuum @ idle?
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Well either you've got a huge vacuum leak, or you have belt slip, maybe both. if it won't idle cold, it sounds lean which certainly indicates a vacuum leak. What is your vacuum @ idle?
    I will check my vacuum tommrrow @ idle. What should it be? The belt S/c belt is tight. How could it slip?

Vacuum on the TFS#1 is around 10-12 roughlywhat they make. Where is your idle speed? have you sprayed carb cleaner to check for leaks?
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Vacuum on the TFS#1 is around 10-12 roughlywhat they make. Where is your idle speed? have you sprayed carb cleaner to check for leaks?
    Idle speed is 850-900 - dropping to 650-700 ,kinda jumping up and down - settling at 850-900. My whole motor has less than 9000 miles on it and EVERYTHING was new at that time. I have had this car for over 4 years and put only 9k on it. I am guessing a HUGE vaccum leak somewhere. I will check vacuum w/ gauge and use carb cleaner if neccessary to locate leak.

throttlebody tube? pcv?

As far as the bypass valve orientation goes:

From the discharge tube on the blower, you should have the port connected that is vertically in-line with the vacuum nipple. The other port connects to the inlet side of the blower and it should be perpendicular in relation to the vacuum nipple.

Make sense???
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Here's a pic of the Bosch bypass, notice the orientation of the vacuum nipple.....

Now if you don't have a Bosch unit it may/will hook up differently.
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....

Okay, still no boost. Checked vacuum @ the vacuum tree. I have 10-12 @ idle. Sprayed carb cleaner all over engine - found no leaks. Moved the gauge to the vacuum tree on the firewall all by itself w/ no t's and ran a new vacuum for the MSD 6BTM and FMU and t'eed those 2 lines together. Drove it several times - no boost. Tightened the S/C belt waaay down. Drove it again -still no boost. Keep in mind my gauge works fine when I put regulated 5-10lbs of air of my compressor. I can't really feel any difference in the A$$ dyno, not anything I would expect from a supercharger. Could all my boost be going out my bypass? I don't hear anything or would I hear it?? I need help? ANy other suggestions? i am going to cry now......

Quote Originally Posted by 92 coupe
    IT runs awful farting and popping under WOT.
    Did you happen to pull the distributor for any reason??? I've seen 'em run like crap like this with the dizzy 180 degrees out, not sure if that would affect boost though.

Did you check the orientation of the bypass to see if it's like the pic above??

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 LX
    Did you happen to pull the distributor for any reason??? I've seen 'em run like crap like this with the dizzy 180 degrees out, not sure if that would affect boost though.

Did you check the orientation of the bypass to see if it's like the pic above??
    No, I did not pull the dist. out. Just backed the timing from 20* to 10*. Bypass is hooked up correctly. It is a bosch bypass. Could it just be a bad gauge? Why would it work with compressed air and not "engine" air? When I drive it and I turn the BTM down it feels like it bogs down. I am wondering if the gauge is bad and I just have the car out of tune. It is a digital Cyberdyne gauge and it is new also.

Could be the gauge......

Here's another thought..... You were previously running 20* timing and now have backed it down to 10*, 20* is a alot Do type & how old is the balancer, I'm out on a limb but maybe your balancer is not reading correctly and you actual timing is way retarded. This may account for it running poorly, but should have no effect on the gauge readings. Also, are you running 10* initial or 10* spout out method?? If the spout is out then the total timing is only 10* and this also would account for crappy performance.

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 LX
    Could be the gauge......

Here's another thought..... You were previously running 20* timing and now have backed it down to 10*, 20* is a alot Do type & how old is the balancer, I'm out on a limb but maybe your balancer is not reading correctly and you actual timing is way retarded. This may account for it running poorly, but should have no effect on the gauge readings. Also, are you running 10* initial or 10* spout out method?? If the spout is out then the total timing is only 10* and this also would account for crappy performance.
    Balancer is stock. I tried 16-18* with tfs heads and I found I ran like a scalded dog @ 20*. I squeezed out an 8.3 on street tires in the 1/8. Probably high 7's if I had decent tires. Also, my compression is 8.1, a little lower than stock. 10* with spout out, then put spout back in. Once I get it running correctly, I will run 30* locked and use the BTM to pull it out until 18-20* under WOT. I will order a Autometer mechanical gauge from Summit and try that. It will be a few days :( I will try to tinker and see if I can figure something else out.

I'm outta guesses

You're sure the belt is tight? 8 rib belts won't squeel. Can you turn the belt 90* with your fingers? how's your PCV setup? throttle body tube removed and capped? I'm about out of tricks. A couple more things and you might want to contact a reptuable shop that understands aftermarket stuff. Do you know any local guys with blowers?