Thread: ANYONE ELSE LOSING MORE COOLANT?

Junior SCH Member

ANYONE ELSE LOSING MORE COOLANT?

I live in MA and it's been really humid and hot lately. I seem to be adding coolant WAY more than usual. I know this NOVI is pushin some hot air but am I just being paranoid? I've already done the head gaskets twice and don't like seeing the coolant level drop.

SCH Member
    not me... Check for leaks and make sure you not blowing out any white smoke out the exhaust. You shouldnt be losing coolant at all.

Junior SCH Member
    No steam at all coming out tailpipes. No leaks with cooling system pressure tester.

Could be the coolant gremlins :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    Damn coolant gremlins! My '90 has consumed a half quart of coolant every month almost since it was new, still does after two intake swaps, two radiators, two sets of hoses, three water pumps, and one complete engine rebuild!

And I won't jinx myself by mentioning the name of that beeotch inside the car, initials H.C. :-)
    Chris

minee used to burb coolant out the overflow and i thought it was a head gasket when it was just a faulty rad cap.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member
    I replaced the radiator cap and it still does it, I even pressure tested the old one.

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    Might want to R&R the throttle body coolant gaskets. Sometimes a water pump will only piss coolant out the hole while the motor is running, blows the drops away, you can't see a coolant "trail" running down the pump face. Some people hate the stuff but you could try a can of bars leak sealant. I've used it in the past in several hi-mile trucks, I run it until the leaking subsides and then change out the coolant.
    Last edited by fanglemeister; 09-14-2004 at 10:56 AM.
    Chris

Junior SCH Member
    I found the problem, my head studs slowly leaking. It wasn't enough to detect with a pressure tester cold and it would usually all burn off after a drive but I did the pressure test again with it hot and I just happened to look right at the lower studs and there were small bubbles coming up through the threads. I used ARP sealant this last time I changed head gaskets and they leaked, when I used cheap pipe dope from Home Depot they didn't leak! Anyone else have problems with ARP sealant?

I use a sealant old guys call Indian Head, looks like tar :teeth: Never had a problem.
    Jorge

Junior SCH Member
    Cool, I'll use that next week as I blew my head gaskets AGAIN! Replacing Motor.