Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Car Fire
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Fire

Senior SCH Member

Car Fire

At the US131 NMRA race this past weekend, my car caught fire due to a fuel leak in the burnout box. The passenger side fuel rail pumped up and fuel started spraying out the top of the number 4 injector. The fuel rails that I were using had a vertically slotted bracket which bolted to the intake. 75 psi of fuel pressure must of been too much for the screw to hold it in place.

The passenger side fender is burnt real bad. The paint blistered off the fender. The passenger side door and passenger side of the engine bay were discolored. The car still ran and we were able to fix it to run the first round of elims. I replaced the fuel rails I had with the Behind Bars Race Cars fuel rails and the new rails are a much better design. They are the best fitting fuel rails I have ever used. A lot of the wiring needs to be re-wrapped, but I couldn't find any wires which had the insulation burnt through.

Just some things to think about in the future. Make sure all of your fuel line connections are tight, ensure that your fuel rails are positively locked from being able to lift up off the intake, and maybe it isn't the best idea to raise your fuel pressure real high to make a smaller set of injectors work. I run 60 psi of base fuel pressure and with 20 psi of boost it will spike up to 80 psi. I imagine an FMU would be even worse.

All in all, it could of been a lot worse if I was going down the track. Flames came inside the car when I was standing still so I could only imagine what it would of been like if it was moving. I guess the flames looked much worse then the damage. It seemed like it took forever to get the fire put out.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

Sorry to hear that you had a fire.The main thing is that you are ok.
    Can't take how slow Blownby's 700rwhp car is :obscene:
    www.behindbarsracecars.com

Wow. My fuel rail a few weeks back also lifted and it was squirting fuel out from the rear passenger side injector. I was about a mile from home when my car started running rough. I pulled into my driveway and smelled fuel, shut the car off and opened the hood, to my suprise, the intake was coated and I had probably 1/4 gallon of fuel spewed on the ground. All in a matter of seconds. Fortunatly no fire! My base fuel pressure is only 34lbs. Things happens
    Good thing you are O.K. Like you said could have been much worse had you been going 100+ mph when she let loose. High winds and fire, and fuel don't mix!

Glad you are OK - you will get the car fixed up no problem.

On a side note I will be double checking my rails this evening :)

Ian

Wow is all I can say, never would have thought of that happeneing. Glad you're ok!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Senior SCH Member
    RSnovi - I just noticed in the classifieds that you're local to me. Did your car catch fire at milan? Havent seen you around town, is your car a trailor queen?

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brian88lx
    RSnovi - I just noticed in the classifieds that you're local to me. Did your car catch fire at milan? Havent seen you around town, is your car a trailor queen?
    My car caught fire at the NMRA race at US131 in Martin, MI. I don't drive it on the street because it is set up for class specific drag racing. Although, I do take it to Milan quite often with it.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

is your car a trailor queen?
    That term sounds so harsh! Many here have true race cars, not street cars.
    Me,.. I'm a street car guy.

Wow glad to hear you are ok Chris. Thanks for the headsup, I'm sure a few of us can learn from this. I'm sure you'll get things back in order and better than ever. Keep us updated.

Glad your o.k man! would'nt hurt to get fireproof pants, jacket, and gloves just in case something like that happens again. It's hot and it sucks, but you can replace those, can't replace your skin! Will check my rails this evening :(
    Jorge

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BLOWNBY
    That term sounds so harsh! Many here have true race cars, not street cars.
    Me,.. I'm a street car guy.
    no offense was meant.

im a street car guy myself.

no offense was meant.

im a street car guy myself.
    I know most of us are, just looking out for the small guy, LOL, But you've got to give it to those true race car guys. Some major BLING BLING just to drive it once in awhile. But they sure are fast for what they've got

Junior SCH Member
    i seen the fire i was right next to the water box and do have 2 pics of it. i need to figure out how to shrink em if i were to post them
    92 lx convertable s-trim,brodix st50 heads,trick flow street intake, aod with shift kit and 3000 stall converter,and some 4.10s in the back

Junior SCH Member
    92 lx convertable s-trim,brodix st50 heads,trick flow street intake, aod with shift kit and 3000 stall converter,and some 4.10s in the back

Junior SCH Member