Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what to use?

Junior SCH Member

Thumbs up what to use?

Hi im new to sch and great site bye the way. ok ive got a 406 smallblock chevy and i want to CHARGE IT its a carb setup with a dominator 1050,afr 220 heads WITH COMPITATION PACKAGE ,brodix hv1000 intake ,4340 crank ,manley 4340 H beam rods. The cam i have i am going to be changed and pistons i will change to because i will have to much comp with the wiscos and the cam is not a blower cam . My question is i want to go in the 9 sec zone in a 3000 lbs car what supercharger can make me get their without pushing it to its limit? D1,F2,F1 ? What blowoff valve? how much boost will i need ? Or can i put a f1 or f2 when on the track and when i want to street it remove the hat and belt and save the blower? ANY info would help

THANK YOU VERYMUCH IN ADVANCE :)

As for the Vortech SC'ers. The t-trim will put you there but near it limit as far as boost and impeller speed. The t-trim is a great street blower.

The YSi is definitly capable and well beyond 9's.

You will probably need some where near 17-20 psi with a 3,000# car.

As for Paxton the Novi 2000 would be a great fit.

As for the other brands, can't say.

Just go with a YSi or the Novi 2000. They easily have the capability of propelling the car in to the 9's, as long as the rest of the car is up to par.

Junior SCH Member
    ok had a look at the v7-ysi looks like its good for what i want to do hp wise do you think its ok. I have seen a kit for carbed application with the carb inclosure is this a good way to go like i said i dont mind not using it on the street but when i go to the track watch out. thanks for the feed back very helpful .

p.s KEEP IT COMING :)

well there should be no reason to unhook the belt for street use at all. With a bypass valve the motor will run as N/A at part throttle. The YSI would be an excellent choice. I'm not 100% sure on chevy kits so My advice would be to do some research and see what you can dig up in the way of tuner kits. The Extreme Velocity carb hats seem the most popular and the way to go nowadays. The YSI is the smallest blower i'd put on that engine but it will more than do what you want it to do. The Novi2000 will do about the same job and you might find a better deal on one.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member
    Yes i found a kit on superchargersonline that has a v7-ysi with carb inclosure with the inclosure do i have to have the carb moded or can i just put new floats? is it much harder to get it to run right with a (HAT) ? seems to be much more things to do to the carb with a hat. will hp go up with a hat or is it wostly the size?

thanks COOL SITE

regattacoupe what size blower would you go with if it were your engine

Junior SCH Member
    would'nt a hat be more difficult to tune than an encolser since the whole carb is under boost and the hat dose not. dose a hat make more power.

thanks

If it were my engine i'd run the YSI or maybe even go for the XX-trim or the F1 Procharger. As far as blowthrough stuff i'm not gonna pretend like i know what i'm talking about. On this board we're pretty weak on this subject and that kinda stinks cause i'd consider trying it. I know there's more to do to the carb if you run the hat but i know the enclosure costs alot more so i don't have the "best" answer for you on this.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

If you want to go blow through, there is a blow through board that you might want to give a try. http://www.boards2go.com/boards/boar...ser=huntracers

Bob
    www.XtrmBowties.com

Junior SCH Member
    hi what is the difference between a ys trim and a ysi trim? and is the F1R compairable to a ysi or ys? If i put a x or xx trim do you think that the low end would be lost (blower to big) ? :) you guys have a big help thanks:)

The YSi is the replacement for the YS(no longer made). The YSi flows more and makes more top end and low end power than the YS did. A perfect fit for your setup. Not to familiar with the X or XX though. Probably too much.

go to www.superchargers4less.com

They will hook you up with a much better price than superchargersonline.com. I have had good experience with him. He may not list the item on his site, but give him the vortech part number and he will have it drop shipped from Vortech for a good price.

Junior SCH Member
    can you put a cog setup on a ysi ? thanks

yes you can

Quote Originally Posted by 04mx
    can you put a cog setup on a ysi ? thanks
    OH YEAH!! It robably would prefer it. They supposedly have a lot of drag.

I have run an 8 rib setup on mine with a 3" and RR 2.7 and 2.6 pulley SC pulleys to ~6,400 RPM's with not too much slippage.

Junior SCH Member
    would there be a performance advantage on a curved discharge vers a straight discharge if so how much also what do you guys look for in cam specs (got a cam recomandation from camoation and dont think it is wright
    one
    :freaks:
    Duration (intake/exaust) 263/273
    Lift (intake/exaust) .664/.646
    Lobe Center Separation 114
    Intake Centerline 110
    Comments