Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
50mm Cogs Installed - Pics! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 50mm Cogs Installed - Pics!

What are the 2 aluminum "bars" that are welded on the plenum for?

Bob
    www.XtrmBowties.com

If you are referring to the pics of my car Bob, they are for rigidity. I actually bought the upper plenum with them. I did read somewhere about someone blowing one of these apart in a high boost application long ago since it is sheetmetal, but have seen a number of these manifolds without the braces doing just fine, maybe this was an early version, or maybe they requested it when Hogans made it, I have no idea.

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hustler
    If you are referring to the pics of my car Bob, they are for rigidity. I actually bought the upper plenum with them. I did read somewhere about someone blowing one of these apart in a high boost application long ago since it is sheetmetal, but have seen a number of these manifolds without the braces doing just fine, maybe this was an early version, or maybe they requested it when Hogans made it, I have no idea.
    Same reason for the ribs on my manifold. I designed my manifold/intercooler myself. The first top sucked in due to vacuum so I welded on a 3/16 piece of aluminum. Under high boost it would flex so I welded on the aluminum ribs.

No more flex!

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itlkick
    Same reason for the ribs on my manifold. I designed my manifold/intercooler myself. The first top sucked in due to vacuum so I welded on a 3/16 piece of aluminum. Under high boost it would flex so I welded on the aluminum ribs.

No more flex!
    LOL! You can't see the bars on my manifold so you were not talking about me! Here is a pic....

Oh ok I didn't see what he was talking about, I never saw that photo, now I know what he is asking.

Junior SCH Member
    How are the 50s holding up?

Btw itlkick, your aftercooler setup is great, I just checked out your webpage, really impressive.

After making some back to back pulls on the dyno, the cog setup worked great, no problems. You can see 2 of the pulls in a video I posted in another thread in the General section. Even with the pushers and no shroud the temps never went above 195. I'm running two bypass valves after the recommendation from kelly herring formerly with paxton. I'm glad I added the 2nd as I have a manual reverse pattern vb so after 3rd gear there is no shifting to neutral, the blower has to wind itself down. They were talking about a guy who was driving his car to the dyno and snapped his belt clean off. I really think that inadequet air bypass and pulley/belt alignment are the two biggest causes of snapped belts. Adding a larger belt is great for strength but if something has to give, it might as well be the belt and not the impeller in the blower. Some people ask me why I have two mondo bypass valves. If a novi2k is capable of 1500-1700 cfm and a mondo bypass is capable of bleeding 600cfm at 10 psi (1200cfm @ 20psi I'm assuming), wouldn't it make sense to need the capability to bleed the excess air that still has to go somewhere. If the impeller locks because the air gets trapped and can't be bled fast enough, the next weakest link is the belt. I can only imagine a ysi which can move more air than a novi2k fully spun would need 2 bypass valves. But I could be off as I'm not an expert on flow dynamics, it just seems like a basic concept.