Thread: finally got everything running good

SCH Member

finally got everything running good

what gauges to get? dual or single? i know i need a boost gauge. is that it? ordered 30 lb injectors. do i need a bigger mam now? oh yeh i want the gauges that light up

Autometer. I would get boost and fuel pressure gauges. all of them have a lighting source. what maf do you have now? how much boost? do you have H,C,I ?
    Jorge

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blueoval92
    Autometer. I would get boost and fuel pressure gauges. all of them have a lighting source. what maf do you have now? how much boost? do you have H,C,I ?
    i am running the stock maf. i have a 85 c&l maf for 19 (stock) injectors. i think it should be 7 - 8 psi. i was needing to know if i go to bigger injectors will i need a different maf. also how much do you think for the two gauges you were talking about?

No, the c&l will work .You'll need to get a sampling tube that goes inside the c&l, for your new injector size. boost gauge runs about 45.00 and for the fuel pressure gauge 0-100psi it's recomended you don't run a fuel line in the car, so it's electric w/sending unit and they are 186.00 (expensive). you can opt to run the mechanical fuel pressure gauge 0-100psi for 37.99 but only outside the car! The reason you'll want both, this is how you'll monitor the fmu,regulator,and fuel pump, with your boost. If boost goes up and your fuel pressure does'nt, you have a problem and need to shut the car down or you'll go lean, and boom! The price of the FP gauge is worth not having to replace a head gasket or worse your motor! you can check ebay,or sometimes you can find both together for a discount in the mustang magazines. hope this sheds some light.
    Jorge

SCH Member
    just ordered everything from summit 290 skins F$CK! oh well that is cheaper than a motor

Welcome to the wonderful world of supercharging Tarpymac! :teeth:
    Jorge

SCH Member

got gauges installed

Welcome to the wonderful world of supercharging Tarpymac! :teeth:
    i have got the gauges installed. and i am running 7 lbs. my fuel pressure runs up to 60 psi. is that good? only at 40 psi when normal driving and idle.

You got the 30's and a FMU right? the FMU should have the 6-1 ratio disc in it, that means for every 1 pound of boost it increases your fuel pressure 6psi. So if your seeing 7lbs of boost times 6psi and your base fuel pressure is 40, you should be seeing 82psi: 6psi x 7lbs=42psi + 40psi base=82psi total.
    Jorge

SCH Member

blue i knew you would come through

You got the 30's and a FMU right? the FMU should have the 6-1 ratio disc in it, that means for every 1 pound of boost it increases your fuel pressure 6psi. So if your seeing 7lbs of boost times 6psi and your base fuel pressure is 40, you should be seeing 82psi: 6psi x 7lbs=42psi + 40psi base=82psi total.
    break that down in english! when i got it all back last night i hammered on it hard and it was reading around 7 psi on the boost and was climbing, then i had to shift. but that is when i noticed the fuel pressure rising so i let off it. no i am not running the 30's yet. still have the factory mam in it. i still have the c&l 85mm in the shed just have not had time to put it on. so how much boost is that theory of yours agin? oh yeah thanks for all the help you gave! i knew you would be the only that answered!

No problem, Tarpy tell me what you have on the car right now. Your fuel pressure is supposed to go up with the boost. In my previous post i was trying to explain how the ratio of your FMU works: for 24lbs inj. you need a 8.1 ratio disc that goes inside your FMU, for 19lbs,it's 10.1, for 30lbs it's 6.1, for 42lbs its 4.1. what that means is the first number is how many pounds of fuel pressure it'll go up, and the second number is 1 pound of boost. so if you had 19lb injectors it would be 10.1= 10psi increase for every 1 pound of boost. if you are showing 7psi of boost and you multiply that by 10psi you would have 70psi fuel pressure plus your base fuel pressure of 40psi, so that would equate to 110psi of fuel pressure! That's not good, so if you go to a bigger injector that pressure comes way down. Even with 30's your fuel pressure is 82psi at full boost. That's why all of us get rid of the FMU and go with 42lb injectors and a 255lph intank and inline pump's.But that's if you have heads,intake and cam in the car also.At 8lbs of boost on my car i see 48psi fuel pressure 40psi base plus my 8psi =48psi because my fuel regulator is a 1.1 ratio.all regulators are 1.1 ratio. so if you don't have h,c,i on the car and the fuel pumps you need the FMU, with the smaller injectors.But you'll have high a** fuel pressure. Just let me know what you have right now, and i'll try to help ya. This is in english to the best of my ability. :D
    Last edited by blueoval92; 10-10-2004 at 08:11 PM.
    Jorge

SCH Member

too much cash

No problem, Tarpy tell me what you have on the car right now. Your fuel pressure is supposed to go up with the boost. In my previous post i was trying to explain how the ratio of your FMU works: for 24lbs inj. you need a 8.1 ratio disc that goes inside your FMU, for 19lbs,it's 10.1, for 30lbs it's 6.1, for 42lbs its 4.1. what that means is the first number is how many pounds of fuel pressure it'll go up, and the second number is 1 pound of boost. so if you had 19lb injectors it would be 10.1= 10psi increase for every 1 pound of boost. if you are showing 7psi of boost and you multiply that by 10psi you would have 70psi fuel pressure plus your base fuel pressure of 40psi, so that would equate to 110psi of fuel pressure! That's not good, so if you go to a bigger injector that pressure comes way down. Even with 30's your fuel pressure is 82psi at full boost. That's why all of us get rid of the FMU and go with 42lb injectors and a 255lph intank and inline pump's.But that's if you have heads,intake and cam in the car also.At 8lbs of boost on my car i see 48psi fuel pressure 40psi base plus my 8psi =48psi because my fuel regulator is a 1.1 ratio.all regulators are 1.1 ratio. so if you don't have h,c,i on the car and the fuel pumps you need the FMU, with the smaller injectors.But you'll have high a** fuel pressure. Just let me know what you have right now, and i'll try to help ya. This is in english to the best of my ability. :D
    iam running the vortech sq s trim on a 98 mustang gt mac off road h pipe,flow master, msd ignition, stock injectors, stock mam.

SCH Member

oh yea

Quote Originally Posted by tarpymac
    iam running the vortech sq s trim on a 98 mustang gt mac off road h pipe,flow master, msd ignition, stock injectors, stock mam.
    vortech fmu and vortech 155 lpr pump

Oh a 98, Yeah that would be a chunk of change. anyway your boost level is about right with those stock componets and the SQ, the fmu you have is setup for your stock injectors so if you change inj. you'll need the proper ratio disc. If you were to get a bigger throttle body and MAF and power pipe,and some headers then i would say go with bigger injectors. You want the fuel pressure to go up! If it did'nt go up then you have a problem. Sorry about the long FMU lesson. Your SQ was designed for a stock application like what you have. So enjoy it! If the funds are available get it on a dyno to see how the air fuel ratio is, and how much power your making. From what i've heard you don't want to push those 2v 4.6's too much. Hope this answers your original question. :shocked:
    Jorge