Thread: Cam help

Cam help

I never was very good at the ol cam selection, so I need some guidance. The app. is-
    92 5.o
    TW heads w/ good hardware
    Street heat or gt40 intake
    3.55's
    5-spd
    S-Trim ~8-10lbs

How would this cam do?

282/286-222/228@.050-496/512-112 center

Thanks!

J

That should work very well. I'd run a smaller cam with those intake choices if it were me. I really like the comp 216/220 cam for those intakes but the lift may be too big for the wedgies. TFS#1 is also a proven winner with this stuff.

I do like the cam you posted though.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Thanks.

I'm also considering a stock cam or maybe the TFS#1. I'm buying a shortblock and have my choices of the above (which is a Crower 15512), an N-41, or a stock cam. I'd rather choose between those so I don't have to mess w/ installing the cam. If it would make that much of a difference, I could get the TFS, though.

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    My $.02, the stock cam is actually a pretty good match for the listed combo.

On the right motor the TFS heads will pull hard above the 6k rpm range, but... if you are going to install an intake manifold that will struggle above 6000 rpm, and you are installing all this stuff on an unbalanced stock shortblock? Do yourself a favor, do not install a 222/228 cam -- you'll be trading valuable bottom end torque for unused top end capacity. With the stock cam you'll have a strong 11-12 second combo there with excellent street manners. If there's any way you can make a deal for a Crower 15510 in lieu of the 15512, go for that instead! The duration is better suited to those intakes, and the lift is better, which the TFS heads will like.
    Last edited by fanglemeister; 09-29-2004 at 03:48 PM.
    Chris

Junior SCH Member

Cam Question

Quote Originally Posted by fanglemeister
    My $.02, the stock cam is actually a pretty good match for the listed combo.

On the right motor the TFS heads will pull hard above the 6k rpm range, but... if you are going to install an intake manifold that will struggle above 6000 rpm, and you are installing all this stuff on an unbalanced stock shortblock? Do yourself a favor, do not install a 222/228 cam -- you'll be trading valuable bottom end torque for unused top end capacity. With the stock cam you'll have a strong 11-12 second combo there with excellent street manners. If there's any way you can make a deal for a Crower 15510 in lieu of the 15512, go for that instead! The duration is better suited to those intakes, and the lift is better, which the TFS heads will like.
    I agree with the smaller cam/stock cam recommendation. I've experimented with the stock cam, the Steeda #18 & 19 grinds, and the Anderson Ford B-4/Crane grind. FYI, the B4 works fine w/TW heads and a stock shortblock (224/232, 286/294, .542/.563, 112 CL). I have the B4 in my 92/stock short block currently. The cam makes significant power to 6200+ if your valvetrain is up to the task, but the power that the cam would make with 8PSI might be more than you want or need. Expect 380 - 420 RWHP with the mods you listed and with the smaller cams which produce better torque!. The larger cams like the B4 are intended for a boost range of 12-20 psi, heavily ported heads, better intake, long tube headers, etc. etc. This level of modification can make enough power to hurt the shortblock.

Also....Don't forget the abuse that your drivetrain (clutch, trans, rearend, etc.) will take when you start cranking out 400+ hp at the rear wheels! Remember that the fuel system requirements are much greater when you exceed 400HP too. The manifolds you listed will work well for the 8 psi & smaller cam choices but the Holley Systemax would be the best choice for the next higher level of performance.

Hope it helps.

email me if you need more detailed explanations

hsrmotorsports@msn.com
    Last edited by Hank; 10-21-2004 at 03:01 PM.

Junior SCH Member

FYI

I forgot to set up my signiture. So here it is for what its worth. :)
    '92 GT, 302, T5, Stage 3 TW Heads, Stage 3 GT-40 Intake, 70MM TB, Procharger P600B w/3-Core IC, AFM B4 Cam, Crane Gold Race Rockers, Comp Taperwall Cro-Mo pushrods, 1-5/8 Longtubes, Dr. Gas X-Pipe, Race Magnums w/Dumps, Aeromotive Competition Fuel System w/Billet pump controller, 50# RC Engineering Injectors, PRO-M Univer, MSD-6AL, Full Autometer Gage Compliment, 2004 PMS w/InterACQ, 3.73 Gears, Strange 31-Spline Axles, Auburn PRO Dif, TRZ Racecars Rear Suspension, lakewood 50/50 Shocks, AVO Promastar Adj. Struts...etc....etc...etc......and why am I broke?

SCH Member
    Is the AFM B4 Cam the same as the TFS Stage 2. How would the stage 2 perform in a blown application.I to am looking for a cam.My application
    -TFS Track Heat Heads
    -TFS Street Intake
    -70mm TB,80mm Pro M
    -Full Exhaust
    -3:73
    Paxton Novi 12psi

Any suggestions. Do you think the TFS stage2 would be a good choice!!!!
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Engine:
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Paxton Novi2000 12psi
    Trickflow Track Heat Heads
    Trickflow Street Heat Intake
    Trickflow Stage 2 cam
    Scorpion 1:6 RR
    70mm BBK TB
    80mm Pro-M Shorty
    PowerPipe
    42# Injectors
    BBK 1 3/4 Long tube
    Flowmaster Catback
    Crane HI-6/PS2 Coil
    Every other Bolt on available

518 RWHP 478 FT-LBS Torque

Junior SCH Member

B4/Stage 2 Cam

I think that the B-4 or B-41/TFS Stage 2 Cam would work well with the track heat heads. The intake may be your limiting factor on power production. I've heard that the street intake is good for 400-450HP then it starts to become a restriction.

I've run the B4/ cam for several years, first naturally aspirated (323 RWHP/380 Crank) then with the Procharger (est. 480 RWHP/560 Crank). The cam works well and absolutely loved the boost, as did the heads and intake as they were all on the large side for a naturally aspirated 302.

Important Question..............

Is your block girdled? If not I'd be concerned about the power potential of a Novi 2000 and the cam/head combo on a factory block. I've backed mine down to 8-9 PSI at the intake and the motor still probably makes 520HP at the crank.

ps. My heads were stage 3 ported (317 CFM/220CFM @ .700, (308cfm/210cfm @ .550), polished, and flow tested with 2.02/1.60 Ferrea 6000 series undercut swirl polished stainless valves
    '92 GT, 302, T5, Stage 3 TW Heads, Stage 3 GT-40 Intake, 70MM TB, Procharger P600B w/3-Core IC, AFM B4 Cam, Crane Gold Race Rockers, Comp Taperwall Cro-Mo pushrods, 1-5/8 Longtubes, Dr. Gas X-Pipe, Race Magnums w/Dumps, Aeromotive Competition Fuel System w/Billet pump controller, 50# RC Engineering Injectors, PRO-M Univer, MSD-6AL, Full Autometer Gage Compliment, 2004 PMS w/InterACQ, 3.73 Gears, Strange 31-Spline Axles, Auburn PRO Dif, TRZ Racecars Rear Suspension, lakewood 50/50 Shocks, AVO Promastar Adj. Struts...etc....etc...etc......and why am I broke?