Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Mustang 302 w/Novi 2000 & Ford AC Delete Help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mustang 302 w/Novi 2000 & Ford AC Delete Help!

Mustang 302 w/Novi 2000 & Ford AC Delete Help!

Anyone able to help out with the belt sizes for a 302 w/Novi 2000 and the Ford MS AC Delete bracket? This bracket moves the PS up where the AC was? This car is a 1987 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 Hatchback.

I tried an 84.5 which goes on kind of tight but the tentioner pulley hits the water pump pulley. I’m going to try an 84.0 serpentine belt and I hope if fixes that problem.

Any ideas on the SC belt? Pics below.. TIA!!

Last edited by MaYHeM; 10-05-2004 at 08:37 AM.

You are in a familiar dilemma which has been talked about in a few threads. Basically to use the ford a/c delete you have to get a ford 3.8l tbird power steering pump pulley (which is larger in diameter) and a 93 cobra water pump pulley (which is smaller in diameter) to get the belt to clear once its tensioned.

This pic below shows roughly what it will look like with the correct pullies. As far as belt size. I'm also using a smaller alternator pulley which came from an asp underdrive kit. So my belt size will be a lil different. Run a string around the pulleys to find length and then go to your auto parts store and find that length. Preferably get a Dayco Polycog belt, they are a lil more expensive but they are great belts. I've also heard people grinding off some nub on the tensioner to get clearance.

When I was looking for the pulleys southwest ford had the cheapest prices ( www.oemfordparts.com ), but hardcore50.com has put together an account with some ford dealer in the northeast to get discounts on ford parts so try that avenue also. They have it posted in a sticky thread at the top of the forum.

Last edited by Hustler; 10-05-2004 at 02:08 PM.

Thanks Hustler!!! I really appreciate your help on this. Boy you have a nice setup there yourself..

I will look into getting these pulleys. Starting to wonder if fixing my AC would have been easier.. :freaks:

Hey no problem and thanks. Don't give up you will drop a lot of weight getting rid of the a/c, condensor etc, the pullies will even drop a small bit of weight. If you don't have to worry about emissions the smog pump delete would help too.

Hey Hustler.. Would you happen to know the diameter of that PS pulley? I found a nice piece online but I want to verify the size, if possible. Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by MaYHeM
    Hey Hustler.. Would you happen to know the diameter of that PS pulley? I found a nice piece online but I want to verify the size, if possible. Thanks,
    6 3/4 inches approximately.

Thanks again... I ordered them via a Ford Dealer. My father-in-law works for Ford and gets a discount on their parts. Was the pulley off the 3.8 litre PS Pump for pretty much any year 3.8 FI Motor? I told them like an 88 TBird.. I hope that's correct.. :)

That should be fine.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Hustler
    That should be fine.
    I'll let you know the results when I get them and have 'em installed! Thanks again for your help...

Definitely, let us know how it works, make sure you get the tightest fitting belt you can, after the belt gets broken in a lil and stretches, it sits fairly close still.

Well, still working on this Chris... I got the pulley setup you have suggested and was unable to find a belt to fit the combo. I just installed a smaller ALT pulley to see if I can get something to work simular to your setup. I had to special order a 83.2 inch gates belt as they were the only supplier to have something close enough to 83 inches as my measurements called for.

The belt fits on but the tensioner still pulls to tight and barely hits the belt on the waterpump. I'm thinking my only option now is to drill another hole in the tension's plate to only allow the tension to travel down towards the waterpump about 1/4" less then it does now so I can get the combo to work..

What do think?

Is that a stock alternater pulley?

I used an underdrive one to get it just right on my set up. It will help because it will only use about a 1/4" more belt to get around the pulley.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

Hmm I'll see if I can get the belt number off mine, I know the belt I have I had to pry it on there. Make sure its taught everywhere else when you put it on so that you have as much slack to slide it onto the water pump pulley as possible. The belts do expand with some use so the distance between the water pump and the power steering gets smaller with breakin. So you really need to get the tightest fit.

When the Belt is on and the tensioner is tight, should the tension be fully expanded when the belt is tight or should it pull tight before the tensioner is fully extended?

Mine is basically fully extended but it has a good amount of tension on the belt.