Thread: How to tell an A from an S trim?

Junior SCH Member

How to tell an A from an S trim?

I just bought a Vortech off of Ebay, and I think I might have been taken for a ride again (second time in a month, maybe I might learn my lesson this time). The guy said it was an S-Trim in his auction, and also indicated that the kit was complete only missing the T-Rex.

Well, I got it in the mail today, and it is far-far-far-far from anywhere being complete! A head unit, discharge (with only one silicon junction and 2 clamps), intake tube, blow-off valve, tensioner, mounting plate, 4 bolts, a crank pulley, and the oil feed line.

Is missing the FMU, boost retard, one silicon junction, the main mounting bracket, pretty much all hardware, all oil drain-back stuff, T-fitting for oil feed, drive belt, and who knows what else.

Anyways, the head unit appears smaller than my buddies S-Trim; however, it does have a 10-rib pulley setup on it and the impeller looks to be in very good shape.

Is there a way that I can tell if this is really an S-Trim, and not an A?? The tag on the head unit reads:

Model - V1
    Serial - 13568
    Carb EO# - D-213-16

I'm starting to think that Ebay has more scams/scabs than anything else!

Thanks for any help!
    Jason (Rreemo)

If the impeller blades are straight, it is an A-trim. If they are curved, it is more than likely an S-trim.
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

92stanglx
    One way to check out a used Vortech before buying it is to have the seller give you the serial number and then give Vortech a call. They will tell you what model it is, when it was manufactured, and any service history (like upgrades and rebuilds).

Junior SCH Member
    Yup, that was the easiest way. I called Vortech, found out that it is in fact an S-Trim, and has been in for service once (new berings and seals).

The head unit appears to be in really good shape....very clean, impeller looks good, etc. I've emailed the guy to find out about the rest of the stuff....he says he sold it for a friend, and was under the impression that it was complete....is supposed to be talking to the friend to try to make it right. The guy has been cool, and has a lot of good feedback on Ebay, so hopefully he'll make it right. For the low price that I paid, if I can just get the main mounting bracket I'll be happy....I can piece the rest of it together myself.