Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help a guy with a SB make some serious HP!

Junior SCH Member

Talking Help a guy with a SB make some serious HP!

I need some advise from anyone that has done a supercharger, injector, mass air and throttle body installation/upgrade. I have a 302 with GT-40 heads and cam, and an Edelbrock Performer 5.0 EFI system with 24# injectors and a ’90 GT computer. This current setup turns 243rwhp without any tuning/tweaking. I have purchased a Kenne Bell Blowzilla/Flowzilla supercharger with a 6lb. pulley. I have purchased the lower GT-40 intake that the system requires and installing these along with some other components will be my winter project. Some of the other parts I plan on installing are: a high-volume fuel pump, a Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump, 42# injectors, 80mm mass air and throttle body, all MSD ignition system with boost retard(6BTM), and some other items I can’t think of right now. My question is this: Does this sound like a setup that will be streetable and produce 400+ rwhp? If not, please give me your opinions on what I could do to get it there and still be streetable. Do you see any pitfalls to putting this system together? If so, what are they? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Rob

Junior SCH Member
    I could really use you advice.....please help!!

Junior SCH Member
    ttt

Junior SCH Member
    wish i could help ya, i'm still piecing mine together

rob, from what i've read the btm's are almost worthless with a KB blower. Boost ramps up so fast that you might as well have your timing locked cause the btm will pull it back anyway. but if you wanted the btm for off boost crusing mpg's then i don't blame you there. This sounds like a very fun setup for a streetcar.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for your input. I have been told that the KB system is at full boost at 2000 rpms, so what you're saying makes sense. I will only get the use of the BTM unit up to 2000 rpms then it is essetially locked off.

I'm in the process of doing what your goal is,, streetable!!
    I'm seeing boost start right off idle and peak at 1800rpm.
    I researched this project for some time and the best with what i could come up with to make it streetable is:
    ECM tuning.

I decided to get a tweecer to allow me to run 90mm LMAF with 42# and a 90mm TB.
    I'm not sure how determined you are to get the BTM but with tweecer i can manipulate spark and fuel for all driving conditions in part throttle CL. A wide band will used for WOT. And if I decide to change things such as heads, cam or pully size I can get it to run and behave like stock without re-burning a chip $$.
    I'm not too sure about the boost a pump and spark, i have no experience with them.
    Just something to think about.

Junior SCH Member
    forgive my lack of knowledge on this, but, what is a tweecer?

Junior SCH Member
    this is exactly what i need.....do you use it? how easy is it to use? do you have to keep a laptop hooked up to it or just when tuning?

you bet i use it.
    Easy to use, steep (hard) learning curve, you must have the desire to learn alot of terms and what they do.
    Invaluable IMHO, and there is alot of support on the forum.
    You only use the laptop to adjust tunes or to datalog. No need to have hooked up otherwise.

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks indy2000,
    Sounds like the system for me. Did you get the basic one or the more expensive one?

The R/T, more exp. one. You really need the datalog capability to see the changes you make.

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks Indy2000, I am going to get the tweecer R/T. Sinc my setup is so close to yours, so you think that you would be willing to share your tweecer file with me to get a good start?

Thanks again,

Rob

More than happy to. :)