Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are the 'SN-VR4' going up For Sale

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar

Why are the 'SN-VR4' going up For Sale

To everyone who is selling the SN or VR4 Superchargers.
    What are you reasons for selling?
    Example: Not enough power, Not Dependable, Short on Cash, Not sure how to Tune.
    I am looking for information from the readers of this Forum so that maybe I can design topic headings with question and answers for the winter months to help out before next season.
    The one thing I have noticed on any Supercharger install not just the 'SN' series is not enough injector or not using a supporting computer system.(Tweecer, PMS, Interceptor...Etc....).
    Please all feedback would be great.
    Thank You
    Aaron

Senior SCH Member
    I am selling my VR4 due to me not being able to keep the headgaskets in my car. I think that would eventually boil down to my tuning skills are not good with this blower. Anyone that says they arn't getting enough power out of their vr4 is crazy, that thing is a beast with an 8-rib belt setup.

Im selling it and building a carbed 408.

Senior SCH Member
    How 'bout those keeping their SNs? I bought my SN 93 and I think it is by far the best entry level blower. Running 4-1/4 pounds of boost on my stock headed, speed density 5.0, it's making 321 horsepower. I've not seen an A-trim come close to that at the 6 pound level. I can't speak about more modern stuff but, it looks like to me they are getting more radical, and thus less well suited to the stock motor. Car also turns in 30+ mpg on the freeway with this setup.

I'm going to freshen the ball drive on this million mile used blower over the winter but, I don't expect it'll need much since it's still making most or all of its boost and is just a little noisy.

KC

Insider Information:
    To the Ball Drive guys that are keeping your units, good things are coming soon.
    My testing with the Dual VR4 units are about complete and I can say that I will be able to offer you things that nobody else can. Intake charge that is 70 degrees cooler on a 95 degree day without intercooling and boost that reaches 20psi and a Max. Rpm of 65k. and a Billet Impeller and new rear case that offers things that no other Supercharger can.

Senior SCH Member
    I was gong to purchase a procharger, but ...... 3G's again??? I like my sn and now that I can rebuild it for 300 bucks....and it's mouse quiet.....I"m keepign it! Plan to throw some No2 at it also. I too had the vr4 upgrade, but could not hold boost due to my belt system (6rib). The vr4 was too loud for me....so i'm sticking to my sn 2000 which i get 9psi at 5500 rpms, plus...75shot :D

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
    I was gong to purchase a procharger, but ...... 3G's again??? I like my sn and now that I can rebuild it for 300 bucks....and it's mouse quiet.....I"m keepign it! Plan to throw some No2 at it also. I too had the vr4 upgrade, but could not hold boost due to my belt system (6rib). The vr4 was too loud for me....so i'm sticking to my sn 2000 which i get 9psi at 5500 rpms, plus...75shot :D
    Hey man, please tell me how I can rebuild this thing for 300 bucks too, since ol' Craig at PW wants me to spend 450 on the rebuild kit.

Tks,

F=MA

If your bearings are good you only need the Impeller shaft and the balls and maybe the large O-ring that seals the two pieces of the case together.

SCH Member
    brother sold his cause he got a Procharger

Junior SCH Member
    I am going to be selling my SN89 with extras here soon because I am buying a Vortech S Trim.

Senior SCH Member
    I have a buddy who is looking for the VR4 upgrade kit. Anyone know of a vr4 upgrade kit for sale?

SCH Member

upgrade

I had a sn92 and it made a soild 5 1/2 # of boost with a stock pulley and felt great but I have since upgraded to a P600b pro charger with a intercooler and The diffrence is a completly different world. The sn units are great if you want to stay at 5 psi but if you want more its a hassle the Procharger is set up to make over 20psi and is only working at half its effort at 10#! And there is nothing that feels as strong as INTERCOOLED boost! No comparsion at any price! have had procharger on for over a year and have ran it hard with NO problems Makes 494rwhp and 515 tq with simple bolt ons and stock cam!

Senior SCH Member
    I get 9psi out of mine:D And an intercooler is not necessary until you get up around 9+psi anyways. The charge of 6psi does not necessitate an intercooler, now upwards of 9 and above, yes, an intercooler is definately needed. I have the water injection with a much better pump and set my hobbs to ground @ 4psi and is sufficient for my 9spi. I was considering a ATI procharger D1SC, however the noise and price has convinced me to keep my sn2000. I like my sn because it's mouse quiet. I did get the VR4 but it was too loud! Sold it, got a nitrous kit with a remote bottle opener. Plan to use a 50-75shot for my intercooler next year...After I build a rear end that can handle it. But yes, the sn's are great for up to 9psi, VR4's 15psi and spin up faster as speedytang says.......I would ask speedy, he has a lot of experience with the vr's in comparison to others.

Senior SCH Member
    Hey DD, if you're just after the charge cooling, save the nitrous trees and use a 20 jet. That'll do it and you'll only have to fill the bottle once a year. That's the setup on mine, not that stock pressure SN93s need charge cooling.

I have an NOS 5115 kit. I just plumbed it to the manifold and disconnected the fuel side vacuum source. There'll be no need to kick up fuel over what the FMU is shooting in for the blower.

My $.02,

F=MA

Senior SCH Member
    I plan on using a 50 shot because I am running a consistant 9psi @ 5500rpm's. I would rather error on the side of running rich instead of running lean with 9spi and nitrous. Granted, my new engine is completely forgged, until I tune it with a few data runs and see what my air/fuel is at WOT with the NOS, I'm gonna be a bit conservative. I did consider using a dry shot, but like the added assurance of the wet kit, i'll just tune down from there;)

Senior SCH Member
    Ok, so you are using a wet setup. Just play safe and don't get too greedy, or I might hear the bang from here :laugh:

F=MA