Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
6V/71 on 289 windsor which belt to use

Thread: 6V/71 on 289 windsor which belt to use

Junior SCH Member

6V/71 on 289 windsor which belt to use

Not being one to take the easy way out I've decieded to put a 6V/71 blower on the 289 in my 66 mustang and after talking to a few people and have had a few diferent answers as to which type of drive belt I should use ribbed or Glimmer .I favored ribbed as I think they will be easier to make but would rather know now (before I make them) if they wont be up to the job
    Attached Images Attached Images
    66 mustang,66GT mustang project - eventualy, 63 Fairlane, 96 Falcon wagon

I haven't seen a gilmer in person before, might be easier to stick with the ribbed as its more common. Check out RCD Engineering www.rcdengineering.com

Junior SCH Member
    thanks for responding Chris

Downunder we call tooth or cogged belts (like the ones on the rcd web page )Glimmer Belts(spelling?) and the serpentine type ribbed .I wasn't sure if my question had lost some thing in the translation from Australian to Americian english

Cheers Mate

Ok my bad we are on a different wavelengths here. I'm recommending cogged belts, but there are two different kinds that I've seen GT which commonly is 8mm and 14mm and STD which has more squire shaped teeth. I didn't know Gilmer referenced cog belts but ya that is what you want. But then there are two different types which you can see in the pic below. I've never seen serpentine on a roots application so I would probably stick with an 8mm application GT. The one in the right of the pic below.

Btw here is a company down by you. Might help you out.

www.kenlowe.com.au/Superchargers.htm
    Last edited by Hustler; 11-23-2004 at 02:09 PM.

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks s