Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
long tube headers

Thread: long tube headers

Junior SCH Member

long tube headers

need info regarding anyone using long tubes on their cars.i have shorty headers unequal length now but have thought about long tubes when i install the blower. i have a friend who advised for the work they are not worth it also he advised that they make alot of heat under the floor pan and can be uncomfortable inside on the feet. thanks for the help

Long Tubes can add some power over shorties but considering your car is mostly stock with the exception of the blower, I wouldn't bother with them. They don't add as much power as a lot of people think either over a good set of shorties. You also have to consider emmissions as well. I know in some states they won't even smog test your car if it has LT's on it as they are not C.A.R.B. approved. Depending on how tight emmissions standards are in your state (if you are subject to testing), LT's can make it difficult to pass because of the fact they locate the O2 sensor further down the exhaust stream than what the Ford engineers intended, therefore the sensor doesn't get as hot as it normally would and can affect the A/F mixture and causing it to produce excess emmissions.

I chose to put shorties on my car simply because I have to go for testing every other year and the standards are gradually being tightened and I don't need the hassle for the extra bit of power LT's will give me. Even with good heads and such, you can make well over 400 rwhp with 1 5/8" shorties with cats installed so it's not like you're sacrificing a whole lot by not upgrading to them. Also of note as some peolpe do care about this: LT's will make the car noticeably louder than if it has shorties.

Long tubes give the car a completely new sound - sounds great!

Long tubes are great for an efficient engine. You have the blower to get the air in, but you lack heads, cam, intake to get it out. If / When you complete those mods I would think about long tubes.

Ian