Thread: 30lb inj w/ 8" crank pulley and Powerpipe???

Senior SCH Member

30lb inj w/ 8" crank pulley and Powerpipe???

Will I be OK running my 30lb injectors with a Anderson Powerpipe and the 8" crank pulley? Obviously I will have to use the FMU (I'm not sure of what disk yet) but will the injectors flow enough without taking the fuel pressure through the roof? I have a high output Walbro 255 fuel pump.

Also, I have a FMS MAF (made for 30lb inj, came on old Thunderbird SC I believe), will I be able to use it when I first install the blower or will I have to buy a blow through style MAF?

My other option is to buy 42 lb injectors and a matching blow through 77 or 80mm Pro-m MAF and then probably not use the FMU. But obviously that will cost quite a few more dollars so if I can get away with what I have or at least for a while I'd like to. Just trying to get some opinions of those with experience. Thanks a lot for any info, Ryan

SCH Member
    I think 30's are pushing it. i'd go with 42's, ditch the fmu , and go with the 80mm mass air.
    s/c 331

Senior SCH Member
    Thats the response I figured I would get. I'm just trying to get whatever combo I think I might run for a while already on the car so that I dont have to go back to the dyno to check my tune. I already have a 8" crank pulley on the way and the Powerpipe just sounds like a nice bang for the buck so I really kinda want to go ahead and put them both on at once. Guess I better save up a few more dollars. :) Thanks again, Ryan

Senior SCH Member
    what other mods do you have, I ran 30lb injectors with my novi1K making 9psi with power pipe, 8" crank pulley, full exhaust msd stuff and a 255 in tank pump, I dynoed it at 342 at the wheels, the injectors were fine without the fmu, as a matter of fact, I am now making over 500 rwhp and still using the 30lbers but with an fmu set at 4:1, you dont need one if under 380rwhp, 42lbers are over kill unless you are over 400, it wont idle right unless you keep the pressure extremely low and even then it might not idle right.
    90gt 5speed, chp stroker 331 with forged internals including crank, afr 165's, custom grind cam, trickflow street heat intake, 1.7 rockers, 80mm pro M with morpheus power pipe and bosch bypass valve, full off road exhaust, revised novi 1K with 8"asp pulley, 255 in tank, 30lbers, accufab afr, msd6al with coil, 355's on stock suspension and street tires.

Dynojet#'s= 505rwhp, 469rwtq@7psi boost.

91 coupe 5speed:
    fully ported stock heads, cobra upper and lower intake, 65mm TB, 75mm mass air, full exhaust, compucar adjustable kit, 155lph pump, king cobra clutch, msd coil and stock 308's and street tires.

13.9@102mph

Senior SCH Member
    Well I've got TW heads w/ upgraded valve springs, Edel. Performer intake, Accufab 65mm TB, FMS 30# inj MAF, Crane 2030 cam, all your normal bolt ons, full exhaust with long tubes, Kirban FPR, Walbro 255 fuel pump, a "built" AOD, and I think that covers all the major things. I hope to put down upper 300's to low 400's with the 8" pulley and the power pipe but I guess I'll have to wait and see. If I'm going to have to buy a new MAF anyway I will probably just go ahead and get new injectors as well. But if not I might stick with my current MAF and my 30# injectors at least for a couple of months.

So does that change any ones mind or just make you want to suggest 42#'ers more? Thanks again for any input, Ryan

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    I'm going to guess you will be putting out at least 400-425 rwhp, properly tuning your parts combo. The FMU would probably work as Chemical5l pointed out, but it is slightly more difficult and time consuming to tune it this way for safe best power. If you must keep the 30s, you could raise the fuel pressure to base pressure of 58 psi AND get a custom chip burned that tells the eec you have 36 pound injectors installed, but then you'd have to worry about the 30# MAF running out of metering headroom on the top end.

Alternativel to the chip tune, you could bump pressure to flow same as 36s per above, and install a new MAF meter calibrated for your eec running 36# injectors.

BTW The 30# FMS meter you are talking about, is that the one listed in the catalog, with a black plastic housing, with no holes for mounting on the oem bracket, and designed to run 30# on a 89-93 Mustang? Or is it an actual oem Tbird SC meter? The FMS 30# meter is a Mazda RX7 part that just happens to work well on the 89-93s with 30# injectors, the Tbird meter will not function properly hooked to a Mustang eec.

As you might have guessed going with the 42# injectors and 42# meter really is the best way to go. The only problem for some people is the idle quality, because the eec is hardwired with a minimum pulsewidth more suited to 19s, you have to raise the idle rpm to use all the fuel the 42s want to shoot at their minimum pulsewidth. A custom eec tune can usually solve this issue, sometimes not, every app seems different.
    Chris

Senior SCH Member
    Well I will probably just buy some 42# injectors then and be done with it. Anybody recommend a good/cheap place to get them?

As for the MAF I currently have its the one made/listed specifically for Mustangs. I took the recommendation of a Ford tech buddy and picked it up b/c I was having problems with my previous Pro-M. He said from his experience the FMS ones had worked quite well, they just seem to mate better with the stock ECU but who knows. Anyway, its worked well.

I wont be getting a chip burned but I do intend on buying a Tweecer in the coming year.

Thanks again, Ryan