Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
When is a bypass needed? "Race" bypass?

Thread: When is a bypass needed? "Race" bypass?

Senior SCH Member

When is a bypass needed? "Race" bypass?

At what point is a bypass needed? Is it a certain HP or more a certain boost level? Is it to keep from damaging/stressing the engine or more for driveability sake. I know I have read that many of you did it for idle issues.

Is the "race" bypass worth the $200 or is the custom Bosch one essentially the same thing just much cheaper? I've just got a guy at Muscle Motors trying to push the race one on me. I know it looks nicer but not $150 extra nice. :) And will the inlet tube that comes with the Paxton kit already have a bung on it to connect any and all of these bypass valves to? I know I saw one that someone posted up where they had added it but it was a custom made pipe to start with.

Thanks for any and all info and recommendations, Ryan

The race bypass is better for blowers with a large cfm rating running more than 13#'s of boost. The problem is that the big blowers flow so much air the small bosch syle bypasses cant flow enough air to relieve the pressure from the impeller of the blower.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

Senior SCH Member
    You would need to spend the extra $ on the race bypass valve if you plan on high boost numbers. The Bosch is only good up to 13.5lbs tops. Anything more, the air would be leaked out back into the inlet and you would be losing your boost. To save the hassle, just go with the race bypass. The stock 2 belt NOVI does have a bung on the inlet for the supercharger.
    NOVI 1000 power.

Proud customer of http://www.speedconcepts.net

Senior SCH Member
    I have a race bypass for sale for $150 plus shipping.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

Senior SCH Member
    I plan to stick with just the 8" crank pulley and the AFM Powerpipe for quite a while. From my understanding with my combo that should put me somewhere around 10psi. Does that sound about right? So is it possible for the race bypass to be too big or would it work fine for 10psi and give me room to grow? But it also sounds like the Bosch bypass would work fine for this combination as well, is that correct?

RSNovi, I will get back to you on the bypass. Do you have any pics of it? How old is it and why are you selling it? Thanks, Ryan

Senior SCH Member
    I will try and get some pics. I blew the last sale because I never got any pics. I have two race bypasses and 1 Mondo bypass. I just don't need three of them. The race bypass valves are about 2 years old. The have only been used at the strip. I know they work well.
    Chris
    NMCA SR6381

Senior SCH Member
    Here are some pics.

Chris
    NMCA SR6381

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NothinButNotch
    I plan to stick with just the 8" crank pulley and the AFM Powerpipe for quite a while. From my understanding with my combo that should put me somewhere around 10psi. Does that sound about right? So is it possible for the race bypass to be too big or would it work fine for 10psi and give me room to grow? But it also sounds like the Bosch bypass would work fine for this combination as well, is that correct?

RSNovi, I will get back to you on the bypass. Do you have any pics of it? How old is it and why are you selling it? Thanks, Ryan
    The race bypass will still work for 10psi. It will also give you room to grow when you decide that the NOVI1000 is getting old, and you want to pump up the boost on a NOVI2000 ;) .
    NOVI 1000 power.

Proud customer of http://www.speedconcepts.net

Senior SCH Member
    Will the Vortech race bypass plumb right up to the Novi 1000 inlet tube? I'm guessing it wont but figure I should ask. If it does not, what does it take to get it to work? Does a custom flange have to be welded onto the side of the Novi inlet tube?

Senior SCH Member
    Can anyone answer my last questions about the race bypass?

Senior SCH Member
    Vortech sells flanges to mate up to the race/mondo bypass in steel or aluminum that could be welded to your tube. Either way, something will need to be fabbed up for the bypass to bold to.

Quote Originally Posted by NothinButNotch
    Will the Vortech race bypass plumb right up to the Novi 1000 inlet tube? I'm guessing it wont but figure I should ask. If it does not, what does it take to get it to work? Does a custom flange have to be welded onto the side of the Novi inlet tube?
    Chris
    NMCA SR6381

Senior SCH Member
    Well most likely I will just do the Bosch bypass then to save money and as to not have to cut up and modify my new inlet tube. Plus it doesnt sound like I really need the race bypass. I dont plan on pushing more than 10-12 lbs of boost for quite a while if at all. Thanks for the info, Ryan