Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long Tubes or SHorty

The hood clearance problem is a direct result of using different motor mounts, when I had the factory ones on, everything cleared fine, then I went to some newer ones I bought from NAPA and the hood was bowing around that area when I shut the hood. I have a cervinis now and the clearance you get from the cowl is more toward the center, my hood is actually touching the oil inlet fitting. You will get more clearance because they don't use braces with the fiberglass but mine still has the slightest of humps right there. I had the HPM solid drop mounts but then the kooks headers were bearily not clearing, so then I got the spacers to raise it back up. The hood shuts, but you can see where its nicking the hood underneath (the oil fitting).

SCH Member
    Mine is hitting the oil fitting too. Does clocking it fix this? I was just going to cut the bracing and hoped that worked. I have the convertible motor mounts if that makes a difference.
    1991 LX hatch AOD - Dart block, 3.25" crank, H-beams, Ross pistons, Novi 2k, TW heads, Performer RPM, 75mm TB, 80mm MAF, Bennett cam, 60lb inj., AFM Powerpipe, Kooks LTs, Snow Performance methanol/water injection, enough fuel for the Space Shuttle Discovery

Old Combo - 148k mile stock bottom end, P&P E7s, AOD, NX wet kit
    428.3rwhp 566.7 rwtq

Whoever said money can't buy happiness never had a wife with breast implants. ;)

Junior SCH Member
    I would think if you went with a higher rise on the hood, it should clear.......

You don't really expect us to feel sorry for a guy that has the $$$ to go for the NOVI 2000 unit do ya?:teeth:

My take on it is this, I went with BBK ceramic L/T on my mod motor, because for the claims of greater torque etc. I will tell ya I LOVE THEM!!!! they sound better, they DO improve torque, and get the ceramic coating if you can; I know, I know, it's an extra 100 bucks, but they really do lower your underhood temp, which help keep the computer from pulling timing out!!!

Seriously, on your hood, maybe you could put some shims under your hood springs where they mount on to the hood; yes, it'll stick a little above the fender at the back, but it'll clear!!! Just stick a few thick washers under each side, the right number of them now on each side........and if you dont like it, take 'em out....but I think you guys will be happy at the result. let me know how it goes okay?

By the way the NOVI 2000 is sooo nice!!! pulls 1600cfm plus, what a monster, you're LUCKY!!!

joe
    :)

Junior SCH Member
    Joe for some strange reason i dont feel lucky, Thanks for the shim idea i will try that later. But now my crappy aod wont shift, it just stays in first. If the TV cable is not hooked up will that prevent it from shifting or just give you crappy shifts? Plus the mac long tubes dont seal, i am going to try the cork gasket instead of the copper.

Junior SCH Member
    Summitt racing carries dead soft aluminum gaskets, there made by PERCY. They are reusable, and won't blow out!! That's what I'm using and they literally mold onto the surface. That's the way to go. The MAC long tubes for the modulars actually scavenge the exaust so well, guys are having a problem with oil getting pulled by the rings by these headers!! I'm not kidding!!! So after you get them working right, keep and eye on your breathers for clogging, expecially if you still are using a PCV valve. Also, could clog up the catalytic converters, potentially causing a fire!! just keep a eye on 'em.

Run you car by a Automatic transmission shop and see if they can figure out why it's not working!!!

joe

Boosted, did you clock the volute yet? I'm pretty sure without the TV cable on an AOD will burn it up but i've never really had an AOD.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member
    Ok the trans is shifting now but the car feels dead as a door nail, when does the novi2k start to make bosst, i wonder if the aod is shfting before that, anybody know the rpm shift point for a aod?

You should have a traction problem instead "when does it make boost" problem. Go over everything again and check your setup. The Aod shifts about 4800 or so?

Whats your setup?
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member
    Ok this is what i have,
    Trick flow 1.72 rockgers
    Trick flow track heat heads spacer and intake combo
    Mac 1 5/8 Long tubes, x-pipe and a pair of flowmaster

I will have to double check the plugs since the track heats use special autolites and i found the set i bought in my trunk, i must have a boost leak some where, i took the boost gauge outta my svo but i didnt get a chance to rig it up yet.