Thread: Is it worth it to switch from an H pipe to an X pipe??

Is it worth it to switch from an H pipe to an X pipe??

Is there any gain from switching to a xpipe if I already have an H pipe? I am running Dynomax mufflers. I like the sound of the X, but will I lose, gain, or stay the same on Hp & torque? It is a 92 5.0 Mustang w/ a Novi 1000. Has there been any head to head tests that anyone knows of?

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    It depends on many factors, usually you trade some low end torque for some top end power. I went from offroad H-pipe and 3-chamber Flowmasters to offroad x-pipe and Magnaflows, picked up about 20hp but only after I made the right tuning changes (which took some work with the eec-tuner until I got it right - still working on rich idle).

In a nutshell, I would not scrap a good H-pipe to change over, I needed to replace a bad h-pipe and failing muffs so I went for the whole deal. You must use a straight-thru muffler to get any added benefit whatsoever, a chambered muffler like a Flowmaster or superturbo will actually be equal or down slightly on an x compared to an H-pipe. They seem to need the stronger pulses from the H to flow best, the x cancels out the strength of the exhaust pulses.
    Chris