Thread: Bastard cooling system!

Senior SCH Member

Bastard cooling system!

I took my car out yesterday for a sunny day thrash. Since its SN rebuild it's making sick power, in fact more than the tired 190 lph in-tank can handle, i.e heavy detonation over 5000 rpm. I have a huge pump from a mechanical injection Porsche 911 that I'll reinstall to correct that.

Plus, I can't believe it, 202,000k and 7 years of racing is all I get out of that crappy stock 88 5.0 radiator before it springs a leak? I'm disgusted! What a dilemma, do I braze up the pinhole or do I lay down the major dosh ($<100 ) for a new rad?

This old POS is a total riot, even when it breaks. ;)

F=MA

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    $200 3-Row radiator will allow you to build more power with less detonation. Braze the pinhole for now and get the radiator when the funds allow.

Senior SCH Member
    I've been pounding out this level of power for ages on the stock rad. It ain't so warm up here north of the border so, I just bought another stocker. The detonation problem is fuel side, I'm sure of it, as the old pump has recently started whining like a schoolboy asked for his homework, coinciding with the onset of the over 5k ring-a-ding-ding.

F=MA

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    cooler engine temperatures allow more power.
    I don't see your power listed so what would you say your power is at. If your under 300hp the stock radiator will do but if your over that you will need additional cooling to allow the radiator to take the heat instead of the heads which will help with detonation.

Senior SCH Member
    It's just a stock headed, stock cammed 5.0 with 5 pounds pushing back. I make about 320 horse on the 19 pounders, drag strip dynoed. That's fine with me.

Engine temp has never been an issue. It certainly was when I ran twin turbos on this engine. That was a little too much heat energy to dissipate. The Paxton hardly registers an increase over NA. The 2-core stocker I just stuck in is really slow to warm up so, I think we've got headroom for my cooler climate up here.

F=MA

Depending on the pricing of your local auto parts stores there's a nice 3-core available at most chains for ~$100-130, the price seems to vary depending on the market. Do a search on the Corral for a part #, I know I've seen it there numerous times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Senior SCH Member
    Up here in Kanata, prices are a good deal higher for stuff. That ain't the issue, though; I'll gladly buy whatever I need. I just don't need a 3 core radiator in our climate, even boosted, at this power level. The engine would never warm up with a 3-core aluminum rad, and that ain't good for it either.

F=MA

Quote Originally Posted by F=MA
    Up here in Kanata, prices are a good deal higher for stuff. That ain't the issue, though; I'll gladly buy whatever I need. I just don't need a 3 core radiator in our climate, even boosted, at this power level. The engine would never warm up with a 3-core aluminum rad, and that ain't good for it either.

F=MA
    I see, well in that case I'd just braze up the pinhole run some radiator cleaner through if needed and go on with it.
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....

Senior SCH Member
    I think the cleaner was what opened the pinhole in the first place, bwaha! That's what I get for being conscientious.

F=MA

Quote Originally Posted by F=MA
    I think the cleaner was what opened the pinhole in the first place, bwaha! That's what I get for being conscientious.

F=MA
    lol, yup it probably ate the corrosion that previously kept the hole sealed :D