Thread: rebuild accomplished...whew

Senior SCH Member

rebuild accomplished...whew

I just fired up the SN93 after all the little rebuilding issues I detailed in other posts. The old girl is dead silent and seems to be pumping out as much air at idle as ever. I can't really stand on it on the road, as the insurance is up and it's wintry rainy up here but, those are good signs, I think.

To all who helped, particularly Speedy and Dirk but, also others, thanks. It may be easy to rebuild one of these things but, everyone has to do something the first time once and it's nice to be able to ask silly questions w/o getting mocked or ignored.

I can't wait for spring. The sucker made 321 horse on the stock 5.0 with blown races in the ball drive, I took it down the track several times like that, as well as taking it on a 500 mile road trip and tootling it around town. The only damage was the damage to the races that was there when I bought the thing. I have no fears about ball drive reliability.

Cheers,

F=MA

Senior SCH Member
    Make darn sure you get an oil cooler!

Senior SCH Member
    I don't drive the car that much. I'll change the fluid every 1000 kilometers.

One thing I find is, with the pump primed and the seals dragging, I'm needing 47 inch pounds to turn the unit over. I'd not mind someone testing their SN93 under similar installed conditions to ensure I'm in the ballpark. I know about the 22 inch pound thing with the seal out and dry but I wasn't going to pull seals that were still sealing when I rebuilt this thing.

The smashed race prevented a really accurate torque reading before disassembly so, I have to fly by the seat of my pants here. I just put the stock shim pack back in. I set the six allens to 120 inch pounds.

TKS,

F=MA

Senior SCH Member
    My sn2000 with the seals in and with fluid reads 52inch/lbs. I would say your in the ball park!

Senior SCH Member
    Cool. I'm not too worried since the total repair cost so far was 2 used races. I was prepared, and still am, to rebuild the unit fully if it starts acting up again. I love this blower. Nothing, not nitrous, not turbos, not NA, has ever made this car as much plain fun as it is now with a stocker motor and a low pressure blower.

It got as little sunny so I took the car around the block uninsured. It got ~4.5 PSI pounded in second gear. Before rebuilding it made about 4.25 gauge so, I think it's ok. It hauled like before so, I think we have liftoff and the clock is running, Houston.

F=MA
    Last edited by F=MA; 10-30-2004 at 06:53 PM.

Senior SCH Member
    F=MA, Can you post pics of the warn races? Just wondering what they look like?

Senior SCH Member
    Sure, If I can grab up the digital cam from the school I teach at. I'll describe it first: The race looked fine, save for a great big crater out of it, about 2 mm long and 1 deep. I tied to sand it out, as Speedy suggested but, it was too badly hit. I'd have to take it so far out of round sanding it flat, it was fuggedaboudit and get a used one from PW.

F=MA