Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
injector sizing on a 331 w/ S-trim

Thread: injector sizing on a 331 w/ S-trim

92stanglx

injector sizing on a 331 w/ S-trim

I just had a new 331 built and I am going to run an S-trim (8 lbs) on it. It's in the car and am working on bolting up all the accessories.

I plan on running 36lbers. Will the car run ok with these injectors or will they be too big for the stock computer (I plan on getting a tune but want to break in the motor first)?

Also, I read somewhere that if you run too big an injector on a new motor it can cause problems with the rings seating (something about too much fuel washing oil off the cylinders ?). Is there any truth to this?

My other option is to use my 24's with an FMU until the motor is broken in and then switch to 36's before I get the car tuned. Although, this sounds like a lot of trouble if I can avoid it.

Thanks!

Senior SCH Member
    U should b ok as long as the motor starts and u don't flood it to death...I start them w/42's and larger all the time...

Senior SCH Member
    Whats the rest of the combo?
    If H/C/I i'd go 42# minimum
    Stock Blocks are Unbreakable

92stanglx
    My combo is as follows:

331 (9:1 compression)
    TFS TW heads
    TFS stage 1 cam
    GT-40 intake (ported and polished) w/ 65MM T-body
    Mac unequal length headers
    Bassani X-pipe
    Mac cat back
    Pro-M mass air 75mm
    255lpr intake pump
    BBK in-line pump
    Adjustable FPR

Everyone I speak to says the same thing "go w/ 42's". So that is currently my plan. I just picked up a set today.

However, I still am not too sure about starting the car with the 42's. I have heard that w/o a good tune you will run pig rich. I also heard from a couple of other people about the issue of the rings not seating properly.

My current plan is to start the car w/ the 24's (w/ a properly calibrated FMU) installed and then switch over to the 42's before I get tuned.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by 92stanglx
    My current plan is to start the car w/ the 24's (w/ a properly calibrated FMU) installed and then switch over to the 42's before I get tuned.

Any thoughts?
    That's what I'd do.

Probably wouldn't spin it to 6K w/ the blower and the 24's, though :laugh:

92stanglx
    Yeah, the 24's would just be used for engine breakin. I don't plan on even reving the thing to 3k until I put in the 42's and get a tune.

Talking Injector size

Quote Originally Posted by 92stanglx
    My combo is as follows:

331 (9:1 compression)
    TFS TW heads
    TFS stage 1 cam
    GT-40 intake (ported and polished) w/ 65MM T-body
    Mac unequal length headers
    Bassani X-pipe
    Mac cat back
    Pro-M mass air 75mm
    255lpr intake pump
    BBK in-line pump
    Adjustable FPR

Everyone I speak to says the same thing "go w/ 42's". So that is currently my plan. I just picked up a set today.

However, I still am not too sure about starting the car with the 42's. I have heard that w/o a good tune you will run pig rich. I also heard from a couple of other people about the issue of the rings not seating properly.

Any thoughts?
    Yeah go with larger injectors at least 42s.

I have a forged CHP302 with 8.25:1 comp
    TF TW heads
    B303
    Cobra intake
    70mmTB
    80mmMAF
    Lucas 38s
    Strim 2.95 upper 7.0 lower (14psi)
    Powerpipe
    Shorties
    No FMU 40psi base and 1:1 fpr increase for ea psi of boost.

Have maxed PW and duty cycle on these on pump gas.

I calculated that I need at least 42s and would be better off with 50s if I want to run C16 and a strong tune.

Car makes SAE460rwhp,440rwtq on 91 octane at 5400' altitude.
    Wayne
    Rio Red 94 GT :teeth:
    AFM Vortech S-Trim Stg I kit
    some bolt ons

See website for complete mod list: http://groups.msn.com/Waynes94GT/waynes94gt.msnw :drool:

Junior SCH Member
    I have a Sportsman block, 331cid, custom cam, 50# injectors, stage 1 Victor Jr heads, Holley SysteMax Intake, S-Trim (2.75") Powerpipe, PMS, and I make 626 RWHP and 602RWTQ on pump gas. BUT last time at the dyno, I found out I am running out of injector. I guess it depends on how far you are going to take it? I say to atleast start with 42's.

Senior SCH Member
    on a 331 the 42's arent gonna cut or they will be maxed which is no good, id get 50 or 55s i was maxing my 42's at little over 500rwhp

Scott
    Scott
    1989 Saleen #492 Vortech S-trim, TFS TW heads, TFS Stage1 cam, Holley U/L, SD #55 injectors, PMS tuned

510RWHP/482RWTQ
    11.75@127 on Nitto DR's

I agree totally...42's aren't going to be enough if you want to make some good power.
    Eric

1990 Mustang GT
    9.20 @151.18

Check out this forum for AOD's/C4's: Click Click Racing Forums
    My Homepage

Yup another who agrees that the 42's will be lacking, they couldn't cut it on my 331 and lil Novi 1000 :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th