Thread: popping at low rpm

Junior SCH Member

popping at low rpm

Just got er done! supercharger is in and the car is running, but its not all right yet. I have the novi 1000, a bosch bypass valve, and the fmu, i think thats about all that would be of relevance. it idles really low at like 500 down to 300 and than will die after a couple minutes or less. and when i acclerate it will stutter and jerk kinda. but its all ok at higher rpm's like if im cruising at around 3000 and up and even under WOT. i really cant take it at wot all the way through the gears because its raining, but any idea on what i can look for with my symptoms? would a vacuum leak cause low rpm troubles but than subside at higher ones?
    sean

Could be a MAF issue, try "clocking" the meter to see if the idle stabilizes with it in any particular position. Also, what plugs ya running and what are they gapped at?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Junior SCH Member
    im just running stock plugs. i didnt mess with those. i thought the plugs would be an issue at wot where the spark would blow out and not at idle.

Junior SCH Member
    i'm thinking your running too rich at idle. but i donno considering i'm not a very good mechanic lol

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    Could need reclocking the MAF to get a better idle reading, but my first instinct is that your first few applications of boost pressure have blown off a vacuum line somewhere, maybe even popped the PCV valve out.

You'll probably want to think about tiny zip-ties on all the vacuum line connections.

Also under Dept. of Too Obvious But Check Anyway: make sure you didn't crush or blow off the discharge tube at either end, this creates a BIG vac leak under idle and part throttle.

*Use ether, propane, or carb cleaner to find small hidden vac leaks.
    Chris