Thread: Please help me choose heads for my combo.

SCH Member

Please help me choose heads for my combo.

I need some heads for my combo, Either TrickfloW Track heats, where i can get them 900 bucks new, or AFR 185s, where i can get them $1050 new.

Please goto my website to look at my combo, and tell me what you think.

Please also give me a Estimate of what kind of power i will be making with my new combo with the stock novi 2000 pulley. Also, what pulley is a step up from the stock one?

Thanks!

Http://www.fourvalve.com/cobra/cobra.htm

Well I am a little bias, but I always recommend AFR heads. They are the best head made out there IMHO.

You will also make more power over the Trick Flow heads.

Ian

SCH Member
    power estimate? I NEED 500 to the rear at least!

You will get that with 12-15lbs of boost I would say.

Ian

SCH Member
    what size pulley do i need for the novi 2000 to achaive that.

Well after reading the info on your link, I would say that you should use the Trick Flow heads.

Mainly because your pistons are notched for them I dont know what kind of clearance issues there would be if you used inline valve heads.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

SCH Member
    What if i go with CNC ported Twisted wedge heads, flowing 296 intake and 217 exhaust. With stock pulley, what kind of power will this put me around to the rear?

You will be very close to 500, I would say 450-475 to the wheels. To get that 500 you want, it will take 12-15lbs of boost.

Ian

SCH Member
    Ian - you said 12-15 psi for box stock TW heads right...what about the ones i just posted. almost 300 cfm intake and about 220 cfm exhaust. Thats WAY WAY over what box stock TW heads flow, and way over what AFR 185s flow. Im thinking more then 450-475 with those heads and stock pulley maybe?

Well as the heads are now larger so you will loose a little boost as the blower has to fill them. BUT the power will equal out as the heads will flow awesome.

If you get a true 8lbs of boost, I could see you being very close. If you were to tighten the belt and get a Power Pipe to get 10lbs, you would be right on. It is hard to judge the potential HP output, that is why I say 12-15 would get you there for sure.

If I was in your position, I would pick up the heads, install the 2K with the stock pulley and hit the dyno. Get it all tuned, and make a pull to see how close you are. If you need 2 lbs of boost to get you there, buy a Power Pipe, if you need 4 lbs, you can get a pipe and pulley.

Ian