Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: noob here, have a question

noob here, have a question

I've been searching all over for info on this, if it's old news then I appologize in advance.

I have ordered a Novi 1000 kit. Looking at the install instructions I got from Paxton's site I notice me not running the smog pump is going to be a problem.

My specific concern is the curved alternator support bracket from Paxton that runs from the smog pump to the alternator. I know a delete pulley will fix the belt routing problem but does it allow for mounting the alternator support bracket supplied by Paxton?

I'm tying to get the right parts rounded up in advance so any help would be appreciated. I do have my old smog pump as well if I need to use it.

Do I need a vac/boost gauge or just boost? I plan on getting the Bosch bypass valve. Which spark plugs while I'm here.

I know that there are several of us who have run w/o the smog pump, what you'll need to do is make a bracket to anchor the alt., you do not have to run a delete kit, the belt routing will work w/o anything there.

Vac/boost is what I have, mechanical gauge, pretty cheap. You will want to use plugs 1-2 heat ranges cooler, just the el cheapo copper plugs (no Platnum's) gap them down to around .032" to start. Definitely get the bypass, the driveability and all around street manners will improve dramatically.

What does the rest of your combo consist of???
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

The smog elim does have provisions for the lil "L" bracket for alt. I Tried it without the elim and it would not clear the water pump. I think this is a two-belt version?
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Start @ 7* initial timing and creep up on it. Have you ever tried the spout out method?
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

I could see not running a delete kit on on a single belt system, but looking at the belt routing in the instructions on the dual belt it won't work. It's a new kit, so it's the new 8 rib 2 belt version. So one of the smog delete pulleys will work right?

This is the stuff I've done to the car...MP Motorsports cowl hood*Proform elec. fan*3 core radiator*smog/ac delete*rear bumper delete*ES front swaybar kit*FRPP "C" coil springs*ES coil isolators*KYB shocks/struts*weld-in SFC's*FRPP alum. driveshaft*Jeg's loop*Superchip*FRPP clutch/PP/cable*FRPP 3.73 gears*275/50/15 BFG DR's*new original color paint, SW base/clear*Pilot steering wheel, airbag deleted and cruise moved to ash tray

I know almost nothing about running a s/c so any advice is appreciated.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd
    2 belt Novi 1000 stock pullied, stock motor, 19# injectors, 12:1 FMU, 155lph fuel pump, Autolite 23's @.037, A9P pcm, Kirban AFPR, electric fan, PPI 180* t-stat, 3 row radiator, 2.5" off road h-pipe, 40 series Flows dumped, 3.73 gears, weld in SFC's, FRPP alum. driveshaft w/ Jeg's loop
    http://aircapitalmustangs.com

Pull that superchip before the install & in my case I did some back to back testing one night at the track I ran nearly 2 tenths quicker w/o the so called "Superchip", this was prior to my S/C install.
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....

I've had good luck w/ Superchips, had a Jet chip once too. I was wondering if I needed to pull it with the s/c install. I think I'll do that. What about having it reprogrammed for boost?

I won the chip, so it was a freebie.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd
    2 belt Novi 1000 stock pullied, stock motor, 19# injectors, 12:1 FMU, 155lph fuel pump, Autolite 23's @.037, A9P pcm, Kirban AFPR, electric fan, PPI 180* t-stat, 3 row radiator, 2.5" off road h-pipe, 40 series Flows dumped, 3.73 gears, weld in SFC's, FRPP alum. driveshaft w/ Jeg's loop

I would not spend the coin, mail order chips are wayy too hit & miss, mostly miss when it somes to tuning a combo.......

Is there another way to do this "tune" I keep hearing about? All I know to do is cooler plugs gapped smaller, bypass valve, and retard the timing. :weird:
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd

Unless you spend the money for a dyno tune & custom chip.....no or pick up one of the aftermarket tuning devices such as Tweecer or PMS....

I ordered the Bosch #0 280 142 110 bypass valve which is supposed to be one of the better Bosch valves.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd

Are you planning on buying a MAF/injector combo>?

Are you planning on buying a MAF/injector combo>?
    Yeah, a little later on. along with intake, heads, headers, ignition.......on and on :shocked:
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd

Do I need to get an AFPR and gauge? As in, do I need them at the time of the install?

I got my 3/8 NPT tap, bypass valve, and boost gauge takin care of. Still need spark plugs though, anyone gotta p/n on the cooler ones?
    Last edited by PNY PWR; 11-27-2004 at 04:56 AM.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd

I think a Fuel pressure guage is important as an oil pressure guage in a supercharged motor. Yes you'll need a AFPR. Whats your fuel system consist of? As far as plugs i don't even know what stock heads take. I ran the autolite 3923's with great success @ .032. Maf/inj/fuel pumps is should be high on your list because they "allow" and support more power and the FMU is hit or miss.