Thread: In massive need of belt help! Stock pulleys and no a/c

Junior SCH Member

In massive need of belt help! Stock pulleys and no a/c

I am having lots of trouble getting the right belt. I finally got on that goes on (very tight) but as soon as the tensioner pushes down on it, it makes it hit the part of the belt around the water pump pulley. Im running an 85" belt. I tried 84.5" and it wouldnt fit. I suppose if I try harder to get the 84.5" on that will work. I know theres 2 ways to run the belt. What belts are you guys using? I have no AC, asp smog eliminator, 3g alternator and stock pulleys. Im using goodyear belts.
    92 Mustang LX
    TFS heads, TFS intake, FTI cam, 75mm TB, Longtubes, Tremec TKO. 12.8 @ 108 untuned

Try to get that 84.5 on there. It usually takes 2 people to get my belt on its so tight.

I am assuming that you are using a 3.8 PS pulley with the Cobra WP pulley correct?
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

Senior SCH Member
    Both my blower and accessory belt have to be installed by turning the motor over. The stretch a ton, surprisingly.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

Junior SCH Member
    No, stock water pump and ps pump pulleys and im not buying new ones. I guess i'll have my dad help me try and get that 84.5" one on. It is extremely tight to get on, we couldnt do it yesterday so I returned it and got the 85". I think if I get it on, it'll give me the clearence I need. Easier said than done :(

We rotate the accessories over aswell. I use ratchet with I believe a 3/8 hex bit in the power steering pump shaft. one person tolds the tensioner back and guildes the belt while the other rotates the pump pulley with the ratchet.

I dont think you will have alot of luck without the new pulley's, but give it a try. The pulleys are not expensive and can bne sourced right from the Ford dealer.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

Junior SCH Member
    I will try rotating the PS pulley as we try and get it on. I'll pick up the 84.5" belt. Wish me luck. Its funny how such simple things become the hardest part of the job.

Senior SCH Member
    if you have the FRPP A/C eliminator, and stock size ACC. pullies you WILL need a 84.5" belt. what works for me i take the top A/C eliminator bolt out(the long one that goes in from the front of the bracket and threads in the head mounted bracket. i leave the bottom bolt in and just rotate the power steering pump down, now slip the belt on and rotate the power steering pump back into position(it will be very tight) now put the bolt back in and tighten it down. my explanation may sound kinda confusing, sorry if it does.

Scott
    Scott
    1989 Saleen #492 Vortech S-trim, TFS TW heads, TFS Stage1 cam, Holley U/L, SD #55 injectors, PMS tuned

510RWHP/482RWTQ
    11.75@127 on Nitto DR's

Junior SCH Member
    I've sloted the alternator ''L'' bracket so i can releive belt tension when installing the acc. belt. Slack alternator bolt, install belt (still tight), pry alternator back and tighten alternator bolt. Have the stock p.s. pulley with cobra w.p. pulley and have about 3/8 clearance between stock tensioner and water pump pulley. Can't remember my belt lenght.

Senior SCH Member
    On my car, I don't run AC, PS, or the smog so I just wanted to run a belt around the alt, WP, and crank. I picked up a stewart water pump which spins standard rotation style so I can just loop the belt around the 3 pulleys.

I don't use the J bracket for the alternator. I picked up a March turnbuckle and use that to adjust the alternator to apply belt tension.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

SCH Member
    The included Gates Vortech belt doesn't work?
    '86 GT: Vortech V2 SQ S-Trim, AFM Power Pipe, Seris III PMS, Pro-M 80 AFM N/A cal, Edelbrock Performer RPM, E7s, Stock Cam, 1.6 RRs, 75mm TB, 42# injectors, No FMU, GSS340 255lph, MAC 1-5/8" LTs, 2.5" H-pipe, 2-ch. Flowmasters, 3.73s, Auburn Pro, Strange 9" axles with 9" axle ends, J&M adj LCAs, Crane HI-6R, 3G 130amp alt., & Need a WB!

Future Mods: TFS TW Fast as Cast Heads, AFM B-31 Cam, & Snow Performance Meth Kit