Thread: Broken bolt...

Junior SCH Member

Angry Broken bolt...

As I was installing my Vortech bracket one of the bolts broke off in the block. This is on a 5 liter Mustang. The bolt hole that the bolt broke off in was the one that kind of juts out away from the block. I have tried a bolt extractor and it is just tearing up the bolt and not really doing much good. My question is can I just bolt the bracket on using the other 3 bolts or do I have to have the other bolt in there also? Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Ryan

Get a Titanium bit for steel and drill the hole deeper, then you should be able to get the bolt out, use some penetrating oil as well, and let it soak for at least 20min before trying to get it out,, you may also want to heat it up. Im not sure If you can go without the bolt or not... Lee
    1988 5.0 Mustang,, 3" flair body kit, Vortech V2 S-Trim SQ, 347 FRPP Forged Stroker, Vortech V2 S-Trim SQ, FPS 200cc Alum Heads, Comp Blower Cam, G-Force T-5, Anderson Clutch,,, ect ect ect

POWDER & CERAMIC COATING - www.pristinepc.com
    SUPERCHARGER BELT TENSIONERS- www.elkperformance.com

I wanna get my kicks before the whole $hithouse goes up in flames -

Senior SCH Member
    You should be able to get it out with some patience. Try the tips that bumblebee suggested.

As a very last resort, you could drill it out and re-tap it.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

I broke a bolt off in my Dart block, grade 8 bolt..... A carbide tip drill bit wouldn't hardly touch it. It finally took a carbide grinding bit and a Dremel, heat and penetrating oil to get it out. I got lucky and didn't screw up any threads, ran a tap through to clean out the remaining bolt pieces and I was good as new. Took several hours of cussing to get it done......
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5150 LX
    Took several hours of cussing to get it done......
    :) I think that describes half my projects :laugh:
    David

'03 Mach 1 (Fun)
    '88 GT Hatchback (Fun squared)