Thread: low vaccum on novi ized mustang

Junior SCH Member

Exclamation low vaccum on novi ized mustang

the vaccum on my car is unusually low and i dont remember it being this low before. my off idle throttle response is terrible and it wont really respond till like 2 k or so. with my timing set at 10 degrees base im seeing about 5 inches hg at 600 rpm and 11 at 1000 rpm. i have a very mild cam with a .512 lift , a lobe seperation of 114 degrees and a duration of 264 intake and 273 on the exhaust side. im running a novi 1000 with 2.75 inch pulley/ 6.5 crank combo and a bosch recirculation valve. the car idles fine it just has really low vacuum and really crappy low end response. i was thinking if it was a vacuum leak it would have a raised idle and stall out all the time. my friend with an x cam gets 16 inches of vacuum at 1000? what gives? i think the vacuum used to be a little better before the recirculation valve went on but i dont really remember if i had the idle at like 1500 back then or not........ then again im not venting to the air, just back into the intake tube? are any of you guys having this problem or know whats wrong?

Can you put a bypass valve on backwards?
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd
    2 belt Novi 1000 stock pullied, stock motor, 19# injectors, 12:1 FMU, 155lph fuel pump, Autolite 23's @.037, A9P pcm, Kirban AFPR, electric fan, PPI 180* t-stat, 3 row radiator, 2.5" off road h-pipe, 40 series Flows dumped, 3.73 gears, weld in SFC's, FRPP alum. driveshaft w/ Jeg's loop
    http://aircapitalmustangs.com

Junior SCH Member
    i think you could but i think then i think it just wouldnt work, and its definetely working, before i put the bypass on it was surging like crazy and wouldnt idle under 1400 and would constantly surge and just shut off with slightly advanced base timing, as soon as i put the valve on it all went away , but still the problems i listed...........

I've had mine on both ways and didn't do anything you described, so that prolly isn't it. Mine's reading around 20 on the vac side at idle.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd
    2 belt Novi 1000 stock pullied, stock motor, 19# injectors, 12:1 FMU, 155lph fuel pump, Autolite 23's @.037, A9P pcm, Kirban AFPR, electric fan, PPI 180* t-stat, 3 row radiator, 2.5" off road h-pipe, 40 series Flows dumped, 3.73 gears, weld in SFC's, FRPP alum. driveshaft w/ Jeg's loop

5liter are you sure you didn't blow a hose off under boost? That's what this sounds like.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    5liter are you sure you didn't blow a hose off under boost? That's what this sounds like.
    That would make sense
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd

Junior SCH Member
    what kind of hose are you talking about, a hose to the gauge? i still get full boost when i drive it, like 9 psi or so, and i still get the gauge to move, and the idle is ok so its not like a have a huge vaccum leak or anything orwise it would be surging like crazy, which one were you guys talking about

you wouldn't be seeing 9psi with a big vacuum leak......i am at a loss.........
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D