Thread: Tap size for bypass valve connection?

Senior SCH Member

Tap size for bypass valve connection?

Can anybody tell me the tap size I will need to put in the bung connector into my inlet tube for a Bosch bypass valve? I dont have the valve yet but I am headed to the store today to get a tap for the oil pan and figure I will go ahead and buy the one for the intake if I know what size to get. Thanks for any info, Ryan
    1991 Notchback
    Stock 80K mi. short block, Twisted Wedge Heads w/ upgraded valve springs, Crane 2030 cam, Edel. Performer Intake, Accufab 65mm TB, full exhaust w/ LT's, "built" AOD w/ 2600-2800 stall, Novi 1000, 8" crank pulley, Powerpipe, 42# inj, 255 lph, full MSD ignition etc etc.
    Best ET: 11.0006 (so close!) @ 124.86 mph (1.59 60ft)

2000 Lightning
    FTVB, 2" rear drop, and a JLP CAI!
    Best ET: 13.39 @ 102.8 mph (2.04 60ft)

Quote Originally Posted by NothinButNotch
    Can anybody tell me the tap size I will need to put in the bung connector into my inlet tube for a Bosch bypass valve? I dont have the valve yet but I am headed to the store today to get a tap for the oil pan and figure I will go ahead and buy the one for the intake if I know what size to get. Thanks for any info, Ryan
    Its either 1" or 3/4 - I cant remember. I had an aluminum tube welded on mine. I tried the plastic Bosch bypass and come to find out it didnt work at all. Would never open. It was brand new, so I went with a Turbo XS H34 bypass instead. Very nice piece and this one works great. After the first bad plastic one, I am a bit weary to try another - allthough lots of people swear by them and have no trouble at all. Probably just my bad luck.

Senior SCH Member
    Thanks 92 coupe.

SCH Member

re

its a 3/4 npt tap.
    s/c 331

Senior SCH Member
    Does bypass valve come with the piece that goes into the inlet tube once its tapped or is that another adapter I buy? Its a little white plastic piece isnt it with threads on one end and ribbed on the other?

SCH Member
    No it doesn't come with the bypass. you need a 90deg elbow to thread in to the discharge pipe. you can get them at the hardware store plumbing section.
    s/c 331

I used 2 straight 3/4mipX1"barbed adapters. Mine didn't need an elbow.

Remember the threads are 3/4" but the hose is 1". I used 1" heater hose from the auto parts store. Only needed 1'.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd
    2 belt Novi 1000 stock pullied, stock motor, 19# injectors, 12:1 FMU, 155lph fuel pump, Autolite 23's @.037, A9P pcm, Kirban AFPR, electric fan, PPI 180* t-stat, 3 row radiator, 2.5" off road h-pipe, 40 series Flows dumped, 3.73 gears, weld in SFC's, FRPP alum. driveshaft w/ Jeg's loop
    http://aircapitalmustangs.com