Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do, need help pretty quick

LOL, I had left the Superchip in. That's what was causing it. Running good now.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd
    2 belt Novi 1000 stock pullied, stock motor, 19# injectors, 12:1 FMU, 155lph fuel pump, Autolite 23's @.037, A9P pcm, Kirban AFPR, electric fan, PPI 180* t-stat, 3 row radiator, 2.5" off road h-pipe, 40 series Flows dumped, 3.73 gears, weld in SFC's, FRPP alum. driveshaft w/ Jeg's loop
    http://aircapitalmustangs.com

I figured.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Quote Originally Posted by PNY PWR
    LOL, I had left the Superchip in. That's what was causing it. Running good now.
    Good deal! Now go get a Vortech renegade 8" crank pulley!! :D

What's the deal with having to redline the darn motor to get any noticable boost? This is rediculous. For 2 grand I could have bolted on a nice set of heads and got more power.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd
    2 belt Novi 1000 stock pullied, stock motor, 19# injectors, 12:1 FMU, 155lph fuel pump, Autolite 23's @.037, A9P pcm, Kirban AFPR, electric fan, PPI 180* t-stat, 3 row radiator, 2.5" off road h-pipe, 40 series Flows dumped, 3.73 gears, weld in SFC's, FRPP alum. driveshaft w/ Jeg's loop

What's the deal with having to redline the darn motor to get any noticable boost? This is rediculous. For 2 grand I could have bolted on a nice set of heads and got more power.
    What kind of boost are you getting? Mine doesnt build boost untill about 3500 in 3rd gear - due to that fact it is boiling the tires. Check your SC belt - it may be slipping. It needs to be TIGHT - about 100lbs of torque. Also make sure your boost isnt leaking out from your SC to the throttle body - ie- loose clamps or lines blown of under boost. What is the rest of your combo? You will only build boost under a load, so if your tires are spinning - no/ low boost. I went throught the same problems when I installed mine. Dont get frustrated. I am still working on my bugs and its been 3 months.....

155lph pump, stock headers, 2.5'' offroad h-pipe, 40 series Flows dumped, electric fan, 3.73 gears, timing is at 6*........Kirban AFPR, PF gauge, and PPI 180* Tstat awaiting install.

Retightened the s/c belt last night, it did seem to help a little. Do I use my torque wrench to tighten the belt? I think I saw 6psi@ around 6,000 on stock tach.

Pinging is pretty much gone now as far as I can tell. Wish I could get more timing out of it, 6* seems a bit low. Tried it at 8* and that was a no go. Have no idea what to set the fuel pressure at.

I thought only turbos were dependant on load for boost. But I did see the 6psi at a very high speed in 3rd or 4th gear, so maybe so.

I'm confused as to why it's running so strong before boost. I figured with the retarded timing it would be a dog. It's never run better. I'm getting good vacuum and when I hit the throttle it snaps up to 0 good and quick.
    Last edited by PNY PWR; 12-09-2004 at 03:45 AM.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd

155lph pump, stock headers, 2.5'' offroad h-pipe, 40 series Flows dumped, electric fan, 3.73 gears, timing is at 6*........Kirban AFPR, PF gauge, and PPI 180* Tstat awaiting install.

Retightened the s/c belt last night, it did seem to help a little. Do I use my torque wrench to tighten the belt? I think I saw 6psi@ around 6,000 on stock tach.

Pinging is pretty much gone now as far as I can tell. Wish I could get more timing out of it, 6* seems a bit low. Tried it at 8* and that was a no go. Have no idea what to set the fuel pressure at.

I thought only turbos were dependant on load for boost. But I did see the 6psi at a very high speed in 3rd or 4th gear, so maybe so.

I'm confused as to why it's running so strong before boost. I figured with the retarded timing it would be a dog. It's never run better. I'm getting good vacuum and when I hit the throttle it snaps up to 0 good and quick.
    The fuel pump is fine until you really do some power mods like heads, cam ect........Colder plugs gapped from .030-.035 will help alot with detonation along with a 6AL. Atight belt is a must but don't go crazy. I've never used a TQ wrench but it's a good idea. SC's are not really load dependant. Although the only way you see boost is @ WOT. The reason is pulling like mad without boost is because the very you stated. The motor has "0" resistance and even though it's not building boost it makes alot more power. Save up for a Pro-M, 30-36-42 injectors and a powerpipe and you won't be disapointed. You'll have alot more low end.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

I am running Autolite 23's gapped around .037 (The wire gauge has .035 and .040, .035 will go in and .040 won't). I've been checking out maf meters and injectors. I did see an MSD cd ingintion w/ boost timing retard, it looked like a nice one.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd

When you step up to 10+psi with the 8" crank you'll find the fuel pump, and espicially the lask of an MSD will either blow headgaskets or not pull past 4800 or so....The powerpipe is a 4" inlet pipe for the blower and it reduces(eliminates) any restriction before the blower. There is serious power, effiency and cooler discharge temps in this mod. The down size is you have to cut the fender and lengthen some wires or buy an extension for the MAF. Anderson makes the nicest fitting pipe.

The 8" pulley will go 10lbs? I thought 8 or so maybe.

I just got the AFPR.gauge and 180* t-stat in. I have the fuel pressure set at 39lbs w/ the vac unhooked. Had alot of surging at first when I'd plug the vac back in. Maybe the AFPR just needed to get settled in. It seems to be doing ok now.

Is that the right fuel pressure? or close? what does the stock FPR run at?
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd

Well the 8" crank made 10 psi with heads, cam and intake@6000rpms so it might even make more on yours! Fuel pressure sounds fine.

The car is a beast now. The AFPR, and hi flow 180* t-stat really did something. Engine is running much cooler. I was able to bump the timing to about 7*, I'll go for 8* when I'm ready to fill up again and get some better fuel. She's pulling so hard, it's pretty sweet. This PPI 180* t-stat is great, it's working better than any I have ever used. I took the bulb temp. sensor from my Proform electric fan and worm clamped it to the chrome make-up tube on the top radiator hose from Paxton, fan's working alot better now too. I don't think it was getting a good reading smushed into the radiator fins like that.

I bought the new items from Mustangparts.com, 1st time I've used them. They seem to have good stuff and had a nice transaction with them. Just wanted to give 'em a plug.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd

SCH Member
    yeah, you should have initial timing at 10deg. should be using autolite 24's not the stock 25's and gap the plugs down . mine are at .040. if you don't have an msd ignition yours should be gapped down more than that. 93 octane only.
    s/c 331

10* timing ? that's a good one, I can't go over 6*. I have Autolite 23's gapped about 0.37. running 93 octane.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd

SCH Member
    woops, didn't read page 2. 6* though?? maybe its ignition
    s/c 331