Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cog pulley noise

Junior SCH Member
    oh and i forgot to mention that the guy i talked to ( Rick Anderson ) said that the problem is 30 tooth or less blower pulleys.I really forget exactly which i have either a 30 or 28. My car is 90% street driven and makes way too much power as it is...so if i decide to go serpentine and lose a little traction thats fine. Right now i spin my 408 up to 7200rpm. I believe i've pretty much tapped out the ys at this point. Maybe i'll go serpentine...using the same blower rpm(63,000 ish rpm) and then have it upgraded to YSi next year. Weird how my engine builder,tuner never had belt problems on the chassis dyno. If i can fix this and my cooling system problem....and then maybe get my PA super leaker C-4 to stop leaking i'll appreciate and drive the car rather than thinking of selling it. I have a hrad time believing there is nothing i can do to fix my cooling problem.
    1993 LX Hatchback
    408, Canfield Heads, Trick Flow Intake, Ys trim, Gen 7, PA-Super Leaker C-4,3.27 diff, 83lbs inj,kooks 2" into 3.5 collectors, Dr. gas 3" X pipe,Bassani 3" cat back,Second Street Speed Twin in-tank Bosch,Solid roller cam,Jesel Shaft mount rockers,VP C-16,Mallory HyFire667c

10 # 10 rib TKO=625 rwhp
    17 # COG C-4=650 rwhp
    NEW SETUP(porting and valvetrain mods)
    18 # COG C-4=725 rwhp
    ...about my horsepower curve...well there isn't any curve....kinda straight up...then straight across...hahaha
    1 gallon VP C-16 $8.50
    1 supercharger COG belt $110
    Smoking the tires from a 100mph roll $PRICELESS

Junior SCH Member
    :signs: i got the answer......sprockets off a 80's 10 speed bike and a chain off a husqvarna. really glad to have found this site and you guys.....i'm way up here in Maine and everyone i talk to about this is like....duh blowing a blower belt is one thing but when it takes your accessory drive belt with it and overheats your engine....not good
    1993 LX Hatchback
    408, Canfield Heads, Trick Flow Intake, Ys trim, Gen 7, PA-Super Leaker C-4,3.27 diff, 83lbs inj,kooks 2" into 3.5 collectors, Dr. gas 3" X pipe,Bassani 3" cat back,Second Street Speed Twin in-tank Bosch,Solid roller cam,Jesel Shaft mount rockers,VP C-16,Mallory HyFire667c

10 # 10 rib TKO=625 rwhp
    17 # COG C-4=650 rwhp
    NEW SETUP(porting and valvetrain mods)
    18 # COG C-4=725 rwhp
    ...about my horsepower curve...well there isn't any curve....kinda straight up...then straight across...hahaha
    1 gallon VP C-16 $8.50
    1 supercharger COG belt $110
    Smoking the tires from a 100mph roll $PRICELESS

Quote Originally Posted by MeJay Racing
    I agree about the bead blasting. But isn't the real problem is in the blower pulley? I think if you were to use the RR pulley with a SCH bracket or any other mock up to get the belt 'wrapped' better around the pulley the problem would be sovled. Course I don't spin as high as most.
    Yes the main problem lies in belt wrap of the SC pulley, but so does braket flex, drag of the blower, traction of pulley, etc. You can bead blast the SC pulley as well as this is what Vortech does in thier Renagde setups. Your right usually at step 2 or 3 you should be fine.

Here is what I have found step wise to solve belt slip:
    -1. Run larger Crank & SC pullies
    -2. Use strut support or SCH brace to eliminate braket flex
    -3. Try RR pulley or Bead blast SC pulley ( a lot of belt dust for a street car)
    -4. Run a large 10 rib setup
    a. bead blast if necassary
    -5.COGS (last resort for street car IMO) can work fine though

I am on step 4 now of this process and hopefully this is it.
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -10.02 @ 135mph---Is 9.99 to much to ask?:freaks:
    -1.42-- 60'
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

Quote Originally Posted by mainestreetking
    i just spoke to someone and he told me to go with the 8 rib renegade...what vortech calls their improved traction profile. according to this guy the company that makes the 10 rib is different than the one that makes 8 rib...and the belts for the 8 rib are much better...i think i will sell my cog and buy 8 rib 8" ,3.15"

I agree to a point. If you've ever ran the longest belt you can with an 8" (8 or 10rib cause i don't think it matters at that pulley)crank you can figure out real quick where the slipping isn't happening just by looking at it. It's a no brainer. I chose 10 rib because I really want my car consistent, and no slip @ the blower pulley. I want to find a 3.33" blower pulley for my 8" crank and i'll be all set. Should be like a low 10 sec bracket car on the footbrake with that setup.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

beadblasting the pulley doesnt help...just tears up the belt quicker,more belt dust.....been there done that.....and vortech does not bead blast there renegade or any other pulleys..the grey colered ones are hard coat anadized,just a different coating,and they are a different profile.....

the whole key with the small pulleys is making them TIGHT!!!!!...TIGHT!!!!....TIGHT!!!
    dale@swillracing

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swilldup
    the whole key with the small pulleys is making them TIGHT!!!!!...TIGHT!!!!....TIGHT!!!
    Amen! I finally got a set of balls and really gave it to the tensioner and my boost numbers shocked me.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

Quote Originally Posted by swilldup
    beadblasting the pulley doesnt help...just tears up the belt quicker,more belt dust.....been there done that.....and vortech does not bead blast there renegade or any other pulleys..the grey colered ones are hard coat anadized,just a different coating,and they are a different profile.....

Hmmm. Vortech told me they bead blast. Either wat they have a textured finish vs. a smoth one. And yeah, they create a lot more dust.
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -10.02 @ 135mph---Is 9.99 to much to ask?:freaks:
    -1.42-- 60'
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D