Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novi is on and running, tuning question

Novi is on and running, tuning question

It's running very well, good idle and throttle response. We only have 91 octane around here and I'm getting some pinging. I have the timing set at 6* w/ the spout out. 19# injectors, stock maf, and the FMU that came in the kit.

Is there a point where I have to retartd the timing so much that I need to look into other possible problems? Is any pinging ok? I know on n/a motors you can have a little ping and it's ok.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd
    2 belt Novi 1000 stock pullied, stock motor, 19# injectors, 12:1 FMU, 155lph fuel pump, Autolite 23's @.037, A9P pcm, Kirban AFPR, electric fan, PPI 180* t-stat, 3 row radiator, 2.5" off road h-pipe, 40 series Flows dumped, 3.73 gears, weld in SFC's, FRPP alum. driveshaft w/ Jeg's loop
    http://aircapitalmustangs.com

No pinging, otherwise you'll be changing a set of headgaskets before ya know it.

What plugs are you running and what are they gapped at?

What fuel pressure you running?

When was the last time you changed plug wires, cap & rotor?

6* seems a bit mild to be experiencing detonation.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Are you running 6 total because of pinging or are you trying to avoid it? Did you gap your plugs down? What fuel pump do you have? Set your fuel pressure to 38-40ish.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

AFPR is not here yet, should be here this week. I'm running Autolite 23's gapped around .037. Cap/rotor/wires are fairly new. I have a 155lph fuel pump.

I still have the Superchip in but not sure that would cause it either.

I've just been easing into the boost, pinging doesn't seem to start until 3rd gear. As soon as hear anything I let off the gas.

I have the timing at 6* trying to get pinging to go away. Not sure at what point to stop retarding it and look elsewhere for problems.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd
    2 belt Novi 1000 stock pullied, stock motor, 19# injectors, 12:1 FMU, 155lph fuel pump, Autolite 23's @.037, A9P pcm, Kirban AFPR, electric fan, PPI 180* t-stat, 3 row radiator, 2.5" off road h-pipe, 40 series Flows dumped, 3.73 gears, weld in SFC's, FRPP alum. driveshaft w/ Jeg's loop

I pulled the chip and reset the puter, it's fixed.

WOW, what a rush, finally got to open her up. Traction is going to be an issue I can tell. Saw 5lbs of boost, I noticed there's different ways to get to the boost using the throttle. Learning how to drive w/a supercharger is going to be interesting. She's pretty fast now, I already want more boost :teeth:

***Do not run a stock programmed chip w/ your s/c, if you have one when you do your install, make taking the chip out part of the install. (in case someone comes in w/ this problem in the future)

Thank you everyone for all your help, but I'm sure more questions will arise, so don't go runnin off :signs:
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd

Were you putting the spout back in when you had that damn chip in there??? All those chips have ramped up timing curves, as you probably found out, lol.

Anyways, glad you got it sorted out!!
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....

When your ready for more upgrades just ask cause between me and 5150 here, we seen, done it, or tried it at one time or another on the Novi 1000. You next upgrade should be MAF, injectors, and a Powerpipe. I saw a 1.5 psi increase with the pipe and 76 C&L.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 LX
    Were you putting the spout back in when you had that damn chip in there??? All those chips have ramped up timing curves, as you probably found out, lol.

Anyways, glad you got it sorted out!!
    :freaks: Yeah, I found that out the hard way

I'm right on track w/ you ragat, I was thinking 76 C&L, bigger injectors, and a power pipe too. I'll have some fun with it like it is for a lil bit, gotta work on the wife to let me buy more stuff :)

Thanks both of you, y'all are top notch people in my book :famous:
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by PNY PWR
    :freaks: Yeah, I found that out the hard way

I'm right on track w/ you ragat, I was thinking 76 C&L, bigger injectors, and a power pipe too. I'll have some fun with it like it is for a lil bit, gotta work on the wife to let me buy more stuff :)

Thanks both of you, y'all are top notch people in my book :famous:

Go with a Pro-M 80 meter, not a big fan of the C & L's on blown set-up......

ditto on the pro-m... I ran a pro-m 80, 42's and a stock A9L on a high comp 418 and it starts and idles like stock(well maybe like a super stocker) but you get my drift....also you can begin to creep on your timing since you took the chip out. I'd start with 6 spout in and go from there. There is huge amounts of power in tuning/timing but you need to take it slow.

I have it at 6* now. I'll try to bump it up a bit and see what happens. I did find a station here that has 93 octane so that'll help out too.

I'm running 91 and octane booster right now. The octane booster says up to 10 point increase, which I figure is prolly 1 point. I was desperate to cure the ping before removing the dang chip.

What size injectors should I get. Also I have 155 fuel pump, should I go bigger?
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd

What are your performance goals? Try putting the spout in. Go out and buy a Walbro GSS 340 fuel pump and thank me later. Skip the octane booster. I doubt that helps at all. well 30's and a stock motor are fine but if you upgrade your heads, cam or anything they will be marginal without the FMU. I ran 8* spout in with 10 psi and no problems but every combo is diff.

Well I was running a mid 13 on the stock motor, I'd like to go low 12's. I have the spout in, just had it out to set timing to 6*.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd

Tried it at 8*, everything seemed ok easing it up to 5500. Then I tried to run it through the gears. after I hit 3rd and right when I got back on the gas it pinged very badly for a split second and blew smoke form exhaust. Looked like fuel smoke but who knows. Prolly blew it, oh well.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd

Senior SCH Member
    Pony - I was so happy for you. I remember the first time I experienced the joy of a boosted motor. Hopefully it's nothing major and you'll be back out smoking the tires in no time.
    David

'03 Mach 1 (Fun)
    '88 GT Hatchback (Fun squared)