Thread: 8" crank pulley and water pump pulley?

Senior SCH Member

8" crank pulley and water pump pulley?

I dont have my Novi kit yet, it should be coming in by the end of this week:blob:, but I went ahead and put my 8" crank pulley on and was just wondering how the belt was going to clear the water pump pulley. Does the tensioner push it down enough to the left of the water pump to make the belt not rub on the water pump pulley or its bolts? Just curious at this point. Thanks, Ryan
    1991 Notchback
    Stock 80K mi. short block, Twisted Wedge Heads w/ upgraded valve springs, Crane 2030 cam, Edel. Performer Intake, Accufab 65mm TB, full exhaust w/ LT's, "built" AOD w/ 2600-2800 stall, Novi 1000, 8" crank pulley, Powerpipe, 42# inj, 255 lph, full MSD ignition etc etc.
    Best ET: 11.0006 (so close!) @ 124.86 mph (1.59 60ft)

2000 Lightning
    FTVB, 2" rear drop, and a JLP CAI!
    Best ET: 13.39 @ 102.8 mph (2.04 60ft)

I take it you have a two belt novi coming? Do you have the proper fuel upgrades for the 8" crank pulley? You'll need a belt that is 59" and some change i think to clear the WP bolts. It's close but it does work cause I was one of the first to try it.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Senior SCH Member
    Yeah its a 2 belt setup and I have already installed my new 42# inj and I have had a Walbro 255 lph high output fuel pump. Those two things along with my Kirban FPR should have my fuel system setup. From what I gather at this point my stock fuel rails are probably my next bottle neck.

Thanks for the belt length. I cant wait to get this puppy on and get to the dyno for a tune and some numbers! Then its off to the track!!!!
    1991 Notchback
    Stock 80K mi. short block, Twisted Wedge Heads w/ upgraded valve springs, Crane 2030 cam, Edel. Performer Intake, Accufab 65mm TB, full exhaust w/ LT's, "built" AOD w/ 2600-2800 stall, Novi 1000, 8" crank pulley, Powerpipe, 42# inj, 255 lph, full MSD ignition etc etc.

2000 Lightning

The rails should be fine at your power level. However, it does put you one step closer to droppin the big coin for the fuel system. Lines, rails, pump(s), ect....

as long as you have some slicks and some suspension parts there's no reason you shouldn't trap 120mph+.......
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

The rails should be fine at your power level. However, it does put you one step closer to droppin the big coin for the fuel system. Lines, rails, pump(s), ect.... when you get the kit start with the stock pullies as it is more forgiving to a bad tune, and so you can appreciate the 8" crank when you know what the stocker does......cause it is a very worthy upgrade.......

as long as you have some slicks and some suspension parts there's no reason you shouldn't trap 120mph+.......

Senior SCH Member
    Yeah, the nice fuel system will come later (ie after a better bottom end and a bigger blower).

I'm actually gonna go ahead and put it all on (8" crank pulley, powerpipe, etc) b/c I will be getting a custom SCT tune soon after I get it all on the car. They are sending me a base tune on a chip based off of the mods I have told them I have just so I can drive the car. I just wont be getting into any boost until after my tune (that will be very hard to do though :))!

Doing "everything" from the beginning will keep me from buying the Novi 2000. :) Plus the 1000 will get me to the power/ET level I want to be at while also, I am hoping, giving me a better powerband in the mid-range. I've tried to build my whole combo around that idea. Its more of a street car but does go to the track.

My suspension has gotten me a best 60ft of 1.66 so far (spraying a 100 shot) but with a higher stall I know more is there. I'm curious to see how the blower will get me out of the hole. I'm almost thinking the nitrous will do better just b/c of all the added TQ and the immediate addition of the power. However, with the 150 shot I never could hook up but I only sprayed that a few times. We'll find out soon enough I hope. As long as she'll pull 11.5's I wont care. Of course I'm hoping for more but dont want to get my hopes up so just trying to set an obtainalbe goal at this point.

I'll post up dyno numbers and times as soon as they come. This site has been a great help and I appreciate all the info. Seems to be a great Novi 1000 kit site. Thanks again, Ryan
    1991 Notchback

2000 Lightning

I went 11.28@123mph with the same setup you mention(lil different but not much) And the only thing that kept me from the 10's was a cheap TCI converter.....

Senior SCH Member
    If I could pull 10's out of this combo that would be sweet but I wont hold my breath at this point. However, with either a higher stall and/or maybe later a smaller blower pulley it could happen. But I dont plan on swapping blower pulleys for quite a while b/c I dont want to void the warranty.
    1991 Notchback

2000 Lightning