Thread: Inlet tube doesnt match up!!!!!!!!!

Senior SCH Member

Inlet tube doesnt match up!!!!!!!!!

I'm having the same problem Pny Pwr did, as well as "5.0" magazine, with the inlet tube not matching up with the TB. What is the deal with this!? I have not tried "clocking" the blower yet so I am hoping that will fix it or at least make it better but it doesnt look like it will, its pretty far off.

It just pisses me off that I have to hack a brand new cast aluminum piece from the kit all up! Has anyone run into problems with blowing the inlet tube off or seaping air after cutting the inlet tube b/c it has those raised sealing rings at both ends of the pipe. I'm wondering if I should call Paxton first and just make sure they know that if I cut this thing up and then it leaks that I plan on shipping it back to them.

Other than this the install has gone pretty well. The tensioner running into the water pump pulley sucks too but from what I have read it is "normal" with the kit and doesnt seem ot be a way to fix it. I cant wait to get this beast running!!! :)
    1991 Notchback
    Stock 80K mi. short block, Twisted Wedge Heads w/ upgraded valve springs, Crane 2030 cam, Edel. Performer Intake, Accufab 65mm TB, full exhaust w/ LT's, "built" AOD w/ 2600-2800 stall, Novi 1000, 8" crank pulley, Powerpipe, 42# inj, 255 lph, full MSD ignition etc etc.
    Best ET: 11.0006 (so close!) @ 124.86 mph (1.59 60ft)

2000 Lightning
    FTVB, 2" rear drop, and a JLP CAI!
    Best ET: 13.39 @ 102.8 mph (2.04 60ft)

Quote Originally Posted by NothinButNotch
    I'm having the same problem Pny Pwr did, as well as "5.0" magazine, with the inlet tube not matching up with the TB. What is the deal with this!? I have not tried "clocking" the blower yet so I am hoping that will fix it or at least make it better but it doesnt look like it will, its pretty far off.

It just pisses me off that I have to hack a brand new cast aluminum piece from the kit all up! Has anyone run into problems with blowing the inlet tube off or seaping air after cutting the inlet tube b/c it has those raised sealing rings at both ends of the pipe. I'm wondering if I should call Paxton first and just make sure they know that if I cut this thing up and then it leaks that I plan on shipping it back to them.

Other than this the install has gone pretty well. The tensioner running into the water pump pulley sucks too but from what I have read it is "normal" with the kit and doesnt seem ot be a way to fix it. I cant wait to get this beast running!!! :)
    When I clocked my blower the tube fit with no cutting. I also have a 3/8 intake spacer though. Try clocking it first, then cut it if needed. Should not leak even if cut. If your belt is that close to the water pump pulley, try 1/2 shorter belt. The correct size belt is difficult to fit, but under tension it is perfect. You should barely be able to slip the belt on, then that is the correct size.

Senior SCH Member
    Oh no, the tensioner only touches right now b/c there is no belt on it. I just dont like how it has to rest down on the water pump pulley if the belt is off of it. For now I have left the water pump pulley off until I get closer to finishing it all up.

Thanks for the input on the inlet tube. I also have a spacer (1/2" I think) so maybe it will fit after I clock it but it sure doesnt look like it right now. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

I read your other post and if you use the 88.5 belt, you will have plenty of clearance between the pulleys. It is tough to get on at first, but it will fit. Hold on after the 8" crank pulley!!!! On mine, 1st - 4th gear, nothin' but tire smoke. Darn near undrivable :D

SCH Member
    that sounds like the aluminum discharge tube to the tb. it will fit, it doesn't just match right up to the surface of the tb. put the rubber pieces on the blower and on the tb first. clamp the ends each down tight. leave about half of it hanging off the pipe and the tb. start working one end of the dp in to the rubber piece on the blower. you'll have to twist and push a lot. then start working the other end in by the tb. its a pita the first couple times you do it but it gets easier.
    s/c 331

Senior SCH Member
    Thanks for the help guys. It actually fit perfectly after I "clocked" the outlet side of the blower. I had never heard of doing that and of course the shitty instructions didnt mention it. But boy am I glad I read about doing that before cutting on that tube!!! Thanks again though, Ryan
    1991 Notchback
    Stock 80K mi. short block, Twisted Wedge Heads w/ upgraded valve springs, Crane 2030 cam, Edel. Performer Intake, Accufab 65mm TB, full exhaust w/ LT's, "built" AOD w/ 2600-2800 stall, Novi 1000, 8" crank pulley, Powerpipe, 42# inj, 255 lph, full MSD ignition etc etc.

2000 Lightning

SCH Member
    oh yeah, I clocked the blower too :teeth:
    s/c 331

HA, you did better than me. I cut the tube then clocked the blower. I had no idea the blower needed clocked. Until I tried closing the hood :teeth:

Of course there's nothing in the instuctions about the possible need to clock the blower or how to do it.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd
    2 belt Novi 1000 stock pullied, stock motor, 19# injectors, 12:1 FMU, 155lph fuel pump, Autolite 23's @.037, A9P pcm, Kirban AFPR, electric fan, PPI 180* t-stat, 3 row radiator, 2.5" off road h-pipe, 40 series Flows dumped, 3.73 gears, weld in SFC's, FRPP alum. driveshaft w/ Jeg's loop
    http://aircapitalmustangs.com

Senior SCH Member
    I'm sorry about that man, that really sucks. That little tiny piece of information seems like something that should be in the damn instructions!!! I think you should call Paxton and see if they would ship you a new one. Well anyway, I hope this helps somebody else in the future from making a similar "mistake."
    1991 Notchback

2000 Lightning

That's the main thing, maybe someone'll read this and have a heads up. I did alot of reading up myself but just never came accross clocking for some reason.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd
    2 belt Novi 1000 stock pullied, stock motor, 19# injectors, 12:1 FMU, 155lph fuel pump, Autolite 23's @.037, A9P pcm, Kirban AFPR, electric fan, PPI 180* t-stat, 3 row radiator, 2.5" off road h-pipe, 40 series Flows dumped, 3.73 gears, weld in SFC's, FRPP alum. driveshaft w/ Jeg's loop

You should have tried the install on the single belt version, if it wasn't for the guys here I would have never got my **** together......

On the clocking note, I actually pulled the friggin' hood cause of clearance issues just so I could run some bracket races that w/e, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 LX
    You should have tried the install on the single belt version, if it wasn't for the guys here I would have never got my **** together......

On the clocking note, I actually pulled the friggin' hood cause of clearance issues just so I could run some bracket races that w/e, lol.
    Thanks, now i don't feel so bad at all :freaks:
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd