Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
thinking turbo kit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thinking turbo kit

Senior SCH Member

thinking turbo kit

i have been really thinking about doing a turbo setup recently, turbos just do it for me, they make killer torque, sound awesome, there simply arent many hot turbo street cars. what are the negatives in your opinions, dont hold ANY punches guys ;) what about these guys HP preformance? good/bad whatever i need opinions

Scott
    1989 Saleen #492 Vortech S-trim, TFS TW heads, TFS Stage1 cam, Holley U/L, SD #55 injectors, PMS tuned

510RWHP/482RWTQ
    11.75@127 on Nitto DR's

Check out www.turbomustangs.com if ya have not already....... If I had the coin laying around I'd do a Turbo set-up in a heartbeat :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Senior SCH Member
    Thanks for the link 5150, i checked the site out and registered and posted the question over there. Thanks again
    Scott
    1989 Saleen #492 Vortech S-trim, TFS TW heads, TFS Stage1 cam, Holley U/L, SD #55 injectors, PMS tuned

510RWHP/482RWTQ
    11.75@127 on Nitto DR's

You can also PM Frank Woodall and/or UNTCHBL on here, both have swapped over to turbo set-ups from blowers.....
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....

I think Brandon runs an HP kit. Myself, I'm putting flattops in my motor and ordering a bad *** NX kit. Time to make some TQ. :teeth:
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    I think Brandon runs an HP kit. Myself, I'm putting flattops in my motor and ordering a bad *** NX kit. Time to make some TQ. :teeth:
    Brent, what NX kit ya looking at????

The NX Gemini twin. It's the same kit doug runs ironically but it's about the best one for what i want to do. 9 times out of 10 i'll go racing with it off cause we have a few tracks that there's no way i'll hook leaving off the brake with the nitrous on and i know i'll go mid/high 11's on the motor. Should go 10.0's on 200 I hope. Doug says the 150 jets are good for 180 rwhp but he says you need to jet the fuel side down some.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Cool, I may just do the entry level NX kit.......

I'm pretty sure i'll stay with the spray so i'm gonna go for it right off the bat. sorry to hijack your thread scott........

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    I'm pretty sure i'll stay with the spray so i'm gonna go for it right off the bat. sorry to hijack your thread scott........
    hey dude its not a problem at all.
    Scott

510RWHP/482RWTQ
    11.75@127 on Nitto DR's

There's a guy here in Houston by the name Lawrence Conley that run's a performance shop and races that told me the HP turbo kits are making killer power, if you would like to talk to him he has a web page Conley's performance. i'd give ya the link but i got's to go.
    Jorge

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    No doubt turbocharging is the answer for overall power production, but on the downside:

They are harder to tune for good manners - for instance you have to size the thing properly, and you need to dial in a bunch of retard and fuel at low rpm to get the impeller to spool quickly or they suffer from turbo lag, which can be very frustrating when you need instant power and nothing happens for a second or three. In fact if you are very serious about the turbo project i recopmmend a standalone efi system vs. tuning it on the eec. Most aftermarket efi's support BIG low-imp injectors.

You have more, and bigger heat issues than with a blower or Nitrous - underhood heat, engine coolant and oil heat, just more heat, everywhere. Check out spark plug access on a turbo 5.0 Mustang.

There's more to it, but suffice to say just these two issues alone will add quite a bit of money to your project's budget above and beyond installing just the turbo hardware!
    Chris

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fanglemeister
    No doubt turbocharging is the answer for overall power production, but on the downside:

They are harder to tune for good manners - for instance you have to size the thing properly, and you need to dial in a bunch of retard and fuel at low rpm to get the impeller to spool quickly or they suffer from turbo lag, which can be very frustrating when you need instant power and nothing happens for a second or three. In fact if you are very serious about the turbo project i recopmmend a standalone efi system vs. tuning it on the eec. Most aftermarket efi's support BIG low-imp injectors.

You have more, and bigger heat issues than with a blower or Nitrous - underhood heat, engine coolant and oil heat, just more heat, everywhere. Check out spark plug access on a turbo 5.0 Mustang.

There's more to it, but suffice to say just these two issues alone will add quite a bit of money to your project's budget above and beyond installing just the turbo hardware!
    Thanks for the info, i tune with a PMS right now ;) im serious about doing it but im still in the feeling out stages. Thanks for the reply.
    Scott

510RWHP/482RWTQ
    11.75@127 on Nitto DR's

Senior SCH Member
    I have an HP 60mm kit on my car and let me tell you it's unreal. The HP kit is high quality, all the parts fit well only thing is you will wait a while to get it. I had to buy a PMS to really tune it but I was expecting this. The sound of the wastegate venting is awesome (Its not venting into the exhaust).

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    I have an HP 60mm kit on my car and let me tell you it's unreal. The HP kit is high quality, all the parts fit well only thing is you will wait a while to get it. I had to buy a PMS to really tune it but I was expecting this. The sound of the wastegate venting is awesome (Its not venting into the exhaust).
    whats your combo? and do you have any track or dyno numbers on it?
    Scott

510RWHP/482RWTQ
    11.75@127 on Nitto DR's